What to do after final coat
I'm sure this comes up here often, so I apologize up front, but I have searched exhaustively and haven't found a definitive answer. Just looking for a little specific advice.

I am just finishing up a table top with General Finishes High Performance water based top coat (satin) which I am spraying on with my Earlex 5500. I should have the last coat on tomorrow afternoon.

What do I do after the final coat and when do I do it? I've read everything from a crumpled up paper bag to pumice...which I don't have, by the way. Any specific advice on how to get rid of those little nibs in the last coat is greatly appreciated.
What about automotive rubbing or polishing compound? (This stuff, not the wax). The rubbing compound is much more coarse than the polishing compound.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
OOOO steel wool with a past wax at the same time.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Thanks, guys. When do you do those things? Just after the final coat has dried, or after it has cured?
I've always let it full cure; with the oil based stuff i usually use that's weeks instead of days. I would think with waterborne I would wait at least one week, maybe more. But that's just me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If the grain is not filled completely I would not use the automotive polishing/rubbing compound as it will stay in the grain.   As others have said wait until finish is cured before rubbing out, otherwise it may just ball up and ruin the finish.   Roly
Yes I would suggest a 30 day cure before considering doing anything else
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

So, for a commissioned piece, are you holding onto it for 30 days after it's finished in order to rub it out before delivering it?
If I was doing that, and could afford to wait, yes I would hold it.

But if the customer was close, say 30 minutes away, and it could be done at their place, I might change my mind
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Why not contact General Finishes and see what they say.  I seldom use the water borne products as oil types are still available, but I would think they would cure faster.   Roly
 Found this article.   Which GF Top Coat Should I Use?
December 30 2014
[Image: topcoats-all-general-finishes-open-2014_0.jpg]
ANSWER:
It depends! Read on, or watch this GF video demonstration: http://youtu.be/torOAQy91q4
*Here are the main questions to ask yourself:
  1. Is my underlying product water or oil based?
  2. Am I OK with the finish darkening or yellowing with time?
  3. Is fast dry time a priority?
  4. Will I spray or hand-apply the product?
  5. Will this piece be used indoors or outdoors?
  6. Am I O.K. with solvent odors during application?
  7. Is my project detailed or large?
  8. Does this top coat have the sheen I'm looking for?
HIGH PERFORMANCE WATER BASED TOP COAT: Winner of Fine Woodworking's Best Overall Choice Award, High Performance Top Coat is one of the most popular water based top coat's on the market today. It contains UV Stabilizer's to protect the finish from breaking down in sunlight.
CHARACTERISTICS:
  1. Water Based
  2. Clear (non-yellowing)
  3. Dry Time: 1-2 hours
  4. Cure time: 21 days
  5. Coats recommended: 3 minimum
  6. Spray or hand-application: Acrylic brush, foam brush, paint pad applicator, or spray: HVLP 1.3 (.051) needle nozzle.
  7. Interior application only
  8. Low odor
  9. Soap and water cleanup...
Tags: Arm-R-Seal Topcoat, DIY Furniture Blog, Endurovar, gel topcoat, high performance topcoat, oil based top coat, Top Coat, water based top coat