Places on wooden plane to avoid finishing.
[Image: IMG_5786.jpg]

I'm going to finish this plane with something I have lying around-true oil, watco, whatever is on the shelves.  Are there any areas that I should not finish, e.g., wedge bed, sole?

Thanks
Tony
When using Tru Oil, I avoid putting it on the bed or where the wood wedges against wood......but I'm no expert.

Andy-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Chris posted this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvg6Wq0T-8 

Gordon finishes it very close to the end of the video. Might help.

BTW, it looks quite nice! Thanks for sharing
Can't help you on your question, but that really looks nice.  Gotta try that someday.  Where did you get your iron?
(02-13-2017, 08:18 AM)cbygeorge Wrote: Can't help you on your question, but that really looks nice.  Gotta try that someday.  Where did you get your iron?

Geez--I sorry for giving the impression that I made this plane.  I think it was a kit that I bought on S & S in just-about-finished form a couple of years ago.  I just shaped it to my liking and added the strike button (ebony, I think).  It works beautifully although I haven't used wooden planes all that much and have to get used to those that don't have the "mass" or "weight" that I've always chased (without much thought, now that I think about it).
Tony
You didn't Tony, I was just guessing.  Being a kit does not take away from the work you did.  I have looked at Ron Hock's kits myself and may one day pull the trigger on one.  Please post some pics after you finish this one.
When I built my first woodie, I emailed David Finck with this exact question. Here's what he said.

I just let my planes patinate from use, but a wash coat of shellac or

thinned BLO is fine if you want -- just keep the finish off the wedge and
ramp area so it doesn't cause any sticking with the iron.

David is the author of Making and Mastering Wood Planes, and trained under James Krenov.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
When we make our Krenov style planes at the IP School, no finish is applied ( except for a light coat of wax in the throat to prevent squeeze out from sticking  during glue up ) - if you use it much, your hands impart oils that give it a nice look. To each his own I guess.

Looks good by the way. Nothing like making the tool than gives you nice, fluffy shavings.

Dave B
Good job. When I rehab woodies, I clean up with turpentine and finish with wax. Basket cases get a wiping with BLO (20% boiled linseed oil and 80% turpentine). I do this because BLO is how most of these planes were finished originally. I avoid getting wax or BLO the inside blade area around the blade and only wax the horn of the wedge. The sole gets nothing.

Hope you can post some action shots.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
No point in finishing the sole. I mean, you can, but eventually you'll true it up, and by that time the finish will probably have been pretty much worn away anyway. A nice coat of paraffin wax would do the sole good, though.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop