SawStop vibration after shutdown
If this has been covered in the forum, please let me know:

My new SawStop contractor's saw has a strange vibration after shut-off.  It lasts for maybe a second as the blade is winding down.  Tech support told be this is just the belt vibrating as the motor and the blade reach a particular point where their rpms don't match.  He said this is a common situation and should be subside as the saw and belt get more broken in.  I ordered another belt to see if there is a difference, but haven't tried it yet.  Apparently this vibration is a found in in the contractor saws of many brands of CS and can be corrected by using a link belt, but that is not an option with SS since a static free belt is required by the safety system. This is just an annoyance.  I am very happy with the saw's build quality and performance, which is far superior to the Jet saw that it replaced.
I suspect it almost has to be the belt, and if the Link Belt can't be used a cogged belt (if that's not what's on it) might help...they don't take a set as badly as a regular V belt. Otherwise it may be just a matter of waiting for the existing belt to smooth out. I've not heard that about the Link Belt before, interesting (and hope this doesn't turn into another "bash SS" thread).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The pulleys and belt have grooves and the belt is actually fairly thin...less than an 1/8th of an inch.  Again, it is a design than discourages the buildup of any static in the braking system circuitry.  This is an aesthetic problem. Just a minor annoyance.  The safety factor of this tool does call for some offsetting inconvenience.  There is no need for bashers to post.
My old Delta has done the same since day one. I just enjoy the saw.
(02-13-2017, 10:41 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: The pulleys and belt have grooves and the belt is actually fairly thin...less than an 1/8th of an inch.  Again, it is a design than discourages the buildup of any static in the braking system circuitry.  This is an aesthetic problem. Just a minor annoyance.  The safety factor of this tool does call for some offsetting inconvenience.  There is no need for bashers to post.

That's a serpentine belt. They transmit more torque with less loading on the bearings. Rarely is there any set to a serpentine belt but it can happen. They are much more flexible than v belts. 
           I doubt their belt is anything special though. 

Just use the saw and enjoy it. A little vibration at startup and shut down is nothing to think about. Only an issue if it's while cutting.
A serpentine belt, huh? Didn't see that coming, they don't take a set so I suspect it's something to you have live with. It still may smooth out over time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I missed the serpentine belt thing.

There is no reason, even with two belts, there should be a vibration beyond a noticeable limit. If with warmed belts it still occurs, it should be looked into now while there is a warranty. Mechanical problems rarely fix themselves even when the problems "seem" to go away.
For the system to be a blueprint perfect operation is rare, and some vibration is imminent, however if it is more than just a slight shudder, I would make sure and let SS know you are concerned.
(02-13-2017, 09:55 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: . . . It lasts for maybe a second as the blade is winding down.  Tech support told be this is just the belt vibrating as the motor and the blade reach a particular point where their rpms don't match.  He said this is a common situation and should be subside as the saw and belt get more broken in.  . . . Apparently this vibration is a found in in the contractor saws of many brands of CS and can be corrected by using a link belt, but that is not an option with SS since a static free belt is required by the safety system. This is just an annoyance. 

It is not unexpected, as the motor is gravity loading the belt, which makes it ripe for vibration and hopping at low speed.  I battled that for years on my antique Delta wood lathe when the motor was on a hinged platform on the bottom shelf.  Once I restrained it within elastomeric mounts (grommets on bolts, stacked above and below
Laugh ), it stopped.  A free hanging motor is susceptible, unfortunately, unless there is some damping mechanism, including friction or even a hard stop. 

If it's not vibrating at operating speed, then it's nothing to worry about, as others have stated.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks, guys.  I feel more at ease with it after hearing you back up what they told me at SawStop.
UPDATE

I know this is an old thread, but I want to update it with a solution that the good folks at SawStop came up with.

If you read the initial post, I have a SawStop contractors saw that I bought new.  It gradually developed a vibration and grinding noise after shut-off.  Saw operation was not affected, but it was annoying.  I recently called their customer help line and was helped by a very experienced staff member.  He listened to the saw over the phone and came up with three possible motors faults:  faulty start capacitor; faulty run capacitor, or a machanism that operates the motor cooling fan.  They supplied parts for all three faults, but the start capaitor proved to be the cultprit.  This was an easy and quick fix thanks to the excellent instructions provided.

This is an excellent saw for the hobbyist woodworker.  It has all the power (1-3/4 hp) I need and safety features provide a great deal of assurance.  I ripped and crosscut 8/4 ash for a massive workbench project with it.