afci/gfci breaker
(02-16-2017, 06:07 AM)KC Wrote: So I'll revise my question.  If the codes actually mean anything, and the government entities are actually enforcing them, and a licensed private inspector is providing a service after the fact... it seems to me like an actual code violation resulting in a fire (as an example) could be big trouble if the right litigious person came along.

It depends on what code edition has been adopted in your area.    Where I live the 2008 electrical code is in effect so that is the code the inspectors have to follow.    A home inspector can recommend a item while noting it is not required by code.    Roly
(02-16-2017, 06:07 AM)KC Wrote: So I'll revise my question.  If the codes actually mean anything, and the government entities are actually enforcing them, and a licensed private inspector is providing a service after the fact... it seems to me like an actual code violation resulting in a fire (as an example) could be big trouble if the right litigious person came along.

There in lies the problem. Inspectors can't be held liable and neither can private inspectors and the builder really can't be if the inspector signed off on it. 

If there is an issue and a city inspector signed off on it then the city should share the burden because they approved it and said it was done correctly. If the city isn't going to stand behind their inspections then what's the point?

But inspections are primarily  about revenue collection not safety as with most regulations etc. Look how many houses are built outside of city limits and require no permits or inspections and they have no higher number of major failures or incidents than ones that are inspected.
(02-15-2017, 03:04 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Never seen an insurance company give a discount for breakers.

Around here it's common for insurance companies to either charge a surcharge if you don't have AFCI or refuse to insure the house until they are installed.

Quote:Also as long as those electrical connections are in a box it's almost a non issue the breaker will trip way way before the wire heats up.

It's lose and corroded connections in the branch circuits that usually cause the fires and that AFCIs protect against.[/quote]
(02-16-2017, 11:28 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:           There in lies the problem. Inspectors can't be held liable and neither can private inspectors and the builder really can't be if the inspector signed off on it. 

Depends on the inspector, and is an example of why it's a good idea to only hire home inspectors who are PEs - they are liable for the report, so if they miss something, they are responsible and there is legal recourse (as well as E&O coverage)