Bench Top Drill Press - Variable Speed Adjustment
Question 
Guys - I have an old AMT Taiwan bench top DP - 12" w/ 2 belts - use a lot of different types of bits so belt changes on the 3 spindles is often needed, always a loathsome job for me.  For years, I've been looking for a similar sized DP w/ more 'automatic' speed changes.  So today, I was on the Rockler website, and saw the Jet model below at a modest price - just curious if others may own this particular model or other similar sized DP w/ an easier speed adjustment?  Thanks for any comments - Dave
Smile

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202017-02-13%20at%206.07.36%20PM-M.png]
Piedmont North Carolina
Not sure about the Jet but Wen has a low price drill press that is simular as well? I would like to hear everyone thoughts as well on both press.

www.wenproducts.com/store/drill-press
I had the Ryobi version and it had a lot of slop in the quill bore. Slowest speed wasn't very slow either.
(02-13-2017, 09:09 PM)fall Wrote: Not sure about the Jet but Wen has a low price drill press that is simular as well? I would like to hear everyone thoughts as well on both press.

www.wenproducts.com/store/drill-press

(02-13-2017, 09:12 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I had the Ryobi version and it had a lot of slop in the quill bore. Slowest speed wasn't very slow either.

I agree on the lack of a slow speed and if you look at the Wen video it looked like the drill bit had a lot of slop as well... But never have seen one or used one in person.
Here are some specs of the sites selling the press.  12" swing and only 3" travel.  Meh.  A low speed of 530 is probably about average.  This machine uses a reeves drive which has been around quite a while.  It also uses a Morse taper #2 to hold the chuck (probably a JT33 on that end) into the quill.  In every other way, its a typical small cheap chinese press.  So you are getting what you pay for or more realistically you are not getting what you are not paying for.  If you are good with that, no worries.  Probably the best thing to do would be to scour all the sites selling it and read the reviews.  More than one has talked about slop, which is not surprising.
  • Swing: 12"

• Spindle Travel: 3-1/8"

• Number of Spindle Speeds: Variable

• Spindle Taper: MT-2 Spindle

• Speed Range (RPM): 530 - 3100
(02-14-2017, 07:21 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Here are some specs of the sites selling the press.  12" swing and only 3" travel.  Meh.  A low speed of 530 is probably about average.  This machine uses a reeves drive which has been around quite a while.  It also uses a Morse taper #2 to hold the chuck (probably a JT33 on that end) into the quill.  In every other way, its a typical small cheap chinese press.  So you are getting what you pay for or more realistically you are not getting what you are not paying for.  If you are good with that, no worries.  Probably the best thing to do would be to scour all the sites selling it and read the reviews.  More than one has talked about slop, which is not surprising.
  • Swing: 12"

• Spindle Travel: 3-1/8"

• Number of Spindle Speeds: Variable

• Spindle Taper: MT-2 Spindle

• Speed Range (RPM): 530 - 3100

Thanks Guys for all of the comments - the reviews on Rockler were mixed and in addition there were complaints about setting the stop which would likely irritate me (now have the dial type which is easy to use) - I'm willing to pay more but have limited space - probably could go to a 14" model but bench top would still be my preference.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
If you like your drill press you can keep your drill press...
At least there is some truth there.

Go find an old treadmill on Craigslist preferred one with a knob for speed control those are usually old enough they are both cheep and the motors look more like your DP motor.

Use the DC motor and control from treadmill for continuous variable speed with excellent low end torque.

Duke
I own a JDP12 and have for probably 3 years. speed adjustment is a breeze just pull the lever towards you and it goes faster. I have drilled pen blanks to 2 1/2 " forstner bits with no problems.
ASE Master Auto and Medium/Heavy Truck Technician, Service writer and parts consultant.
Master Emergency Vehicle Technician-Police Vehicles

(02-14-2017, 07:06 PM)JDuke Wrote: If you like your drill press you can keep your drill press...
At least there is some truth there.

Go find an old treadmill on Craigslist preferred one with a knob for speed control those are usually old enough they are both cheep and the motors look more like your DP motor.

Use the DC motor and control from treadmill for continuous variable speed with excellent low end torque.

Duke

This.

I love my nineties era Delta drill press, because I did exactly this. I can drill any wood
or dial the speed down and drill even hardened steel.

Be warned, once you have the capability, you will want all the drills to go with it.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me