Ingersoll-Rand (and others) Compressor Recall
This may be old news to most here but it was news to me. I have had an IR  compressor, Model 3E20, for almost 30 years with almost no trouble. A few days ago I contacted IR with a technical question (doesn't seem to have the cfm it once did) and they quickly replied informing me that there was a recall on this compressor (and others) 15 years ago! I had never heard of this, probably because the place I bought it went out of business long ago. They said to immediately cease use of the compressor and said they would have it picked up for return and offered me a $100 gift card or $200 off the price of a replacement, and offered three models to choose from. I selected a 3hp, 60 gallon, oiled compressor for $412. Sweet deal to me as I was just contemplating purchasing a new one.

For any in ignorance as I was, here is the info., which includes compressors IR made for other brands:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2002/cpsc-i...tween-1983
Thanks,  I have one that looks like that, now I need to check the nameplate.
What was the fault?
Something about tank (receiver) leakage and failure. No injuries reported, though.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I ran into the same problem searching for a manual for my Rand-4000 compressor.

It was still working fine at the time, but when I found the info about the recall, I started searching for replacement tanks, as I was not ready to invest in another compressor at the time. The motor and compressor were (are) still working great, and the tank held up for me up to late 2015, then it started with a pinhole leak. Not bad since it was purchased in the mid 80's.

I started my search for a tank well before the leak started, and finally found one on Craigslist. Fairly new that the diaphragm compressor had died, $50. Then I cut the mounting plate from the Rand, welded in some supports to mount it to the new tank, and it's back in business!

So I am just out the $50 for the tank, and about another $20 or so for fittings.

[Image: 32078345584_39a21b448b_z.jpg]Compressor1 by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr

Mike "Dodis"
I have been wanting to up grade my 1.6hp 30gallon air compressor since it does not keep up with my air tools.  I would like one that both cfm are over 10psi.  It seems like everything else I will have to sell some stuff and save some more.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.