Scrub plane rehab
I found just the right project for my limited shop time yesterday. It was a vintage scrub plane that needed a little TLC.

[Image: DSCN2146.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2147.jpg]

There was no marking on the plane, but the blade was marked "Robert Frohn". Turns out that this German family started making tools in 1689. Robert ran the company from 1870 until 1921. This plane looks like late 19th century to me.

Anyway, I started working on the blade. It was in pretty good shape but did have a little abuse from the top where the tip was rolled over due to hammering. It was a nice blade that tapered from about 1/8 at the cutting end to a delicate 1/16 at the tip. Grinding, hammering, and filing reshaped the tip adequately. I had reground the edge previously so it only needed a touch up honing to get ready for business.

The body was in good shape so I gave it a nice rubdown with a scotchbrite pad. That was followed by wax. But only for the body. The sole was off limits as was the inside blade area. Wax and wedges do not play well together.

[Image: DSCN2151.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2152.jpg]

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I turned it loose on some pine and it went to work. I was surprised at how well this lightweight plane tore through the wood.

[Image: DSCN2155.jpg]

So this plane is not suitable for taking on hard maple but it is perfect for lighter woods. It is easy to hold and loves to gnaw. But its claim to fame is its looks. The lines which were crafted with care are further enhanced by the century old patina. When asked why I have so many planes, I can only reply, "just take a look at this one!"

[Image: DSCN2154.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(02-15-2017, 09:29 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I found just the right project for my limited shop time yesterday. It was a vintage scrub plane that needed a little TLC.

[Image: DSCN2146.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2147.jpg]

There was no marking on the plane, but the blade was marked "Robert Frohn". Turns out that this German family started making tools in 1689. Robert ran the company from 1870 until 1921. This plane looks like late 19th century to me.

Anyway, I started working on the blade. It was in pretty good shape but did have a little abuse from the top where the tip was rolled over due to hammering. It was a nice blade that tapered from about 1/8 at the cutting end to a delicate 1/16 at the tip. Grinding, hammering, and filing reshaped the tip adequately. I had reground the edge previously so it only needed a touch up honing to get ready for business.

The body was in good shape so I gave it a nice rubdown with a scotchbrite pad. That was followed by wax. But only for the body. The sole was off limits as was the inside blade area. Wax and wedges do not play well together.

[Image: DSCN2151.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2152.jpg]

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I turned it loose on some pine and it went to work. I was surprised at how well this lightweight plane tore through the wood.

[Image: DSCN2155.jpg]

So this plane is not suitable for taking on hard maple but it is perfect for lighter woods. It is easy to hold and loves to gnaw. But its claim to fame is its looks. The lines which were crafted with care are further enhanced by the century old patina. When asked why I have so many planes, I can only reply, "just take a look at this one!"

[Image: DSCN2154.jpg]
Nice!!!!!!! You saved the old patina!!!!! Looks great!!..A little powdered rosin on the wedge and ramp will stop the slipping!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nice!!!!!!! You saved the old patina!!!!! Looks great!!..A little powdered rosin on the wedge and ramp will stop the slipping!!

POWDERED ROSIN !!!!!!!

What a great tip! Must find some PR. Woodies are begging...
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice.  A good scrub plane is a very useful tool.

I've found that, with the little practice I've done, I can swing around from major hogging off by planing cross-grain, to a sort of intermediate step to flattening by planing long-grain.
(02-15-2017, 01:31 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Nice.  A good scrub plane is a very useful tool.

I've found that, with the little practice I've done, I can swing around from major hogging off by planing cross-grain, to a sort of intermediate step to flattening by planing long-grain.

How true. I think that is why I like the scrub plane so much. There are not too many rules. It will cut wood in almost every position and direction.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(02-15-2017, 10:59 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Nice!!!!!!! You saved the old patina!!!!! Looks great!!..A little powdered rosin on the wedge and ramp will stop the slipping!!

POWDERED ROSIN !!!!!!!

What a great tip! Must find some PR. Woodies are begging...
If you have a local music store, the rosin block they sell for violins will work just fine..I have had the same one for forty years!!!!!! I suppose you can also get it online.. Just scrape a little off with your pocket knife...
Big Grin

Sometimes friction is your friend!!!!!!
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the tip. I found a bottle and it is on its way.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com