Please tell me about track saws
(02-15-2017, 03:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: What little I do need one, I have the EZSmart guide. Furnish your own circ saw.
Couple hundred will get you one.

That is a joke, not a track saw.
Smile
Wood is good. 
(02-15-2017, 03:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: What little I do need one, I have the EZSmart guide. Furnish your own circ saw.
Couple hundred will get you one.

(02-15-2017, 03:37 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: That is a joke, not a track saw.
Smile

I do not agree that track saws, paricularly the EZ system are a joke.  I happen to own the EZ system, and do not own a table saw.  It is a good system, and is a worthy alternative to the other track saw systems when you already own a circular saw.  You will lose approx 1/2" depth of cut due to the base you install on the saw.  This isn't an issue when cutting sheet goods or 1-1/2" thick lumber.  If you want to cut 2-by get an 8-1/2" or larger saw.  In fact several users of this system have bases attached to different sized saws ranging from trim saws to the 16" monsters.  Track saws are great for breaking down sheet goods.  They are also useful for live edge lumber as well as other stuff that you would cut on a table saw.  EZ system also sells saws with bases and dust collection capability already installed if that is what you want to do.  They (Track saws) don't do dados, but you could cut one by moving the track appropriately.  I really like the business end of the spinning blade being separated from my fingers by the wood and saw base.  I like working with hand tools, so a track saw takes a lot of effort out of ripping and cross-cutting to rough dimension outside where clean up is easy.  I keep my EZ System table setup in my shop, and it doesn't take long to disassemble and move it elsewhere.  The table is set up with a tracking lifting mechanism that acts like a clamp and enables you to gang cut multiple pieces of wood in a single pass. Another advantage is that I can use the optional router base and set up tunnel routing decorative eges, or cut dados using the same track.  Like any other new tool to your arsenal, you need to experiment some to get over the learning curve.  But basically, just think of an upside down table saw and you will get the jist.  Hope this helps.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
st & jp--sorry about that. When I did a quick search, the edge-guided saw showed up at the top of the site page, and I jumped to the conclusion that it was what was being recommended. My bad.

http://www.eurekazone.com/
Wood is good. 
whether you consider it a joke or not, my EZ system works great.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(02-15-2017, 04:21 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: st & jp--sorry about that. When I did a quick search, the edge-guided saw showed up at the top of the site page, and I jumped to the conclusion that it was what was being recommended. My bad.

http://www.eurekazone.com/

Grab another cup of coffee. No they are not a joke. Believe it or not, it's the first company/production made track system that came out. All the others out there copied Dino's hard efforts.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have the DeWalt and love it.  I got the Saw and 2 short tracks for $370.  I don't use it all the time but I smile every time I use.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I bought the Festool ATE-55 years ago to break down sheet goods (typically veneered plywood for cabinet work).
- Very good dust collection (but not perfect).
- Table saw quality cuts.
- Track DOES NOT move when being used.

It has worked GREAT for many years and although expensive I'd do it over if I lost the tool.
I have owned the Makita and it was a work horse for me.  The fit, form and function of this Track Saw was perfect for me.  The Festool accessories I bought fit the Makita Track.  Was very quite and when I first began to use it, I had to double check the variable speed dial to make sure it was on full speed....was so quite it gave me a false impression it was not on full speed.  I sold this when I was moving and would recommend it to anyone.

I now have a used Festool TS75 and it too is a great Saw, fit form and function are top notch and yes the price is higher than the competition.  A few things I do not like about this model is the size and weight, a little bulky and heavy for a home hobbiest.  Also the blade size is less common.

Others that I have seen but not owned are the Dewalt and Triton, the quality of these look really good too.

I think these Saws will benefit anyone in wood working, especially if a Table Saw is not close by or material is too large or heavy to handle.  I have used mine to cut down sheet goods, doors in both width and height. Rough sawn lumber that did not have a straight edge, or warped boards.  A future project I will use my TS75 / MFT, new Kitchen Cabinets.

Good luck with your decision.  All the Track Saws I mentioned are good, all have strong and weak points.
Many years ago I almost stalled my Uni ripping a full sheet of ply. Even though I was using roller stands the sheet twisted slightly and bound on the blade. After that I bought a guide rail to break down ply lose to size and finish cut on the TS. Was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't need to re-cut at the TS. The rail happened to be Eurkazone. I then found their web site and loved the ingenuity of the members and designs I was able to create with their tools and extrusions. I must have made at least 8 different benches.

After having almost every tool they offer I now find I only need the Universal Edge Guide (UEG) and the square. I mounted my 6-1/2" 18V cordless Makita saw that that was gathering dust on the UEG. It's light weight and makes beautiful rip cuts. Then I use the "square" that has a short piece of rail to make crosscuts. I use a Makita 5108 or Hilti 265E for these cuts.

Mike
I had an EZ Smart I used with a Milwaukee circular saw.  Worked fine, and was a substantially safer way to break down sheet goods (vs. manhandling the large pieces on the TS).  I upgraded to a Festool TS75 several years ago.  The Festool is leaps and bounds easier to use than the EZ Smart.  I like the riving knive, the plunging blade, ease of setup, and most especially, the dust collection when used with my shop vac (also a Festool).  Pricey?  Yep.  The Dewalt and Makita alternatives will give you equivalent performance and smooth cuts for a more affordable price, as long as you have the right blade.  I was fortunate to have had the cash to drop on Festool.  You can argue about the price, but you can't knock the performance.

In addition to ripping a straight edge on rough cut lumber, I've used my track saw to square the ends of large panel glue-ups when the panels are too large for my TS sled.  The "panels" were large maple pastry boards for a friend's wife and daughter.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill