What to do with my wood?
I have  a wood problem. I live in a city townhouse (in Chicago) with only a workbench and hand tools here and little room for anything else. I do have some wood stored at my parents in Wisconsin. But they're downsizing and moving out of their place, and I need to get the wood out. I of course hate to get rid of it, so I wonder if anyone here--maybe someone who also lives in a city without a garage or basement--can offer me some advice about what to do. I'll be grateful for any suggestions.
How much do you have and how big is it? I've found that under couches and beds can be a good place, if you don't have a lot.
Hire a lockup?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Vertical storage is my best suggestion, in closets where there is empty wall space (i.e., behind the hangers, might need to cut boards down some), the horizontal under bed suggestion is a good one, and depending on the understanding of your estrogen-based unit, big eyebolts in ceiling joists and suspend them with cable.  Otherwise, perhaps build what looks like a closet in the corner of a room, floor to ceiling, and do vertical storage there.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You would be amazed at the amount of wood that will fit underneath a stair case.
I had 12' long boards stuck under my stairs at my old house.
These are some excellent ideas. We have no storage under our staircase but we do have beds!
I built a platform bed that is about 2.5 foot off the ground.  Underneath is tons of space that could be used for lumber storage if I didn't have a shed out back for it.  I would watch out for bugs and such and keep it up off the flooring if at all possible.
Rent a close by storage unit?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I know a woodworker of some dubious reputation who used to store a very large quantity of wood in the attic space over his parents house. Actually a frightening amount of wood. He used to be a carpenter in a former life, and felt there was no risk. Having built a number of houses, and room additions myself I called it crazy. But I never went over there to find the place collapsed. For a small amount it is an often overlooked area.

So far storage unit is the best plan if you have a lot. a little can be stored in small piles and not stick out too much in many places in a home/apartment, but hardly an efficiency.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-16-2017, 05:58 PM)Steve N Wrote: I know a woodworker of some dubious reputation who used to store a very large quantity of wood in the attic space

I know someone else that did that. A couple days later, a seam opened up in the drywall in the living room ceiling. I had to take it back out.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020