Spraying question
I was spraying some EnduroVar and the first coat went fine. After the second coat I noticed the horns on the air cap were covered with finish. Is this from being too close when spraying or was it something else?
Hard to say, could be too close, not enough exhaust air, too high pressure at the gun. I always clean the air cap and end of the needle after every coat. I drop the air cap in ammonia water or lacquer thinner between coats.

John
Are you using a turbine unit? If so, it's called back spray. When shooting only about psi, you there isn't enough air pressure to push away the fog. Backing up the gun should help.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thanks for the help. It is a gravity feed conversion gun. I backed off the inlet pressure just a little, took the filter off my exhaust fan and tried to keep the gun a little higher. In the end there was a little residue on the air cap but not as bad as before.
I've never been able to completely eliminate build up on the air cap.  I doubt it's really possible.  Your changes sound good.  As long as you can get through a spray session without buildup affecting the spray pattern then I'd call it good. 

John