Whatever happened to the infill smoother builds?
It's maybe a couple of years ago now that a few dozen or so members of this forum bought a set of castings for a small infill plane cast by another member.  I was originally in the group but dropped out to give others a chance at the limited number as I had already made a infill smoother (not cast) and didn't want to tackle another.

Did anyone complete the project?  I don't recall seeing any posted but might have missed them.

Just curious.
My casting and the wood is still in a box, waiting for a rainy day.

The original guy disappeared like vapor in the wind.

I was hoping someone else would go first, so I could learn how to make it.

If anybody made one, I'd sure like to see it.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
When my parts arrived the first thing I wanted to do was modify the casting. The thought was to move it from Victorian chic' into post- modern-contemporary-saurerish-functional. I waited to let time and the artistic(?) brain ruminate before jumping into the fray, that never happened. Thoughts simply tacked more names to the style-type.

I think Conrad(?) had a reasonably good construction cook-up going until the donkeys braying pissed off his wife. If flossing my teeth can do the same thing.....
Don't have the kit in question,but always wanted to do a build for myself, but most of the kits cost as much or more than a decent user and then there's the time.

However time is something that I have plenty of.....

Would also like to see the process and/or product

Andy

-- mos maiorum
I am in the final stages of an infill smoother, but it was not the cast version,  I bought the St. James Bay Tool dovetailed smoother kit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norris-type-stee...SwubRXNoNL

then modified it to be a coffin dovetailed infill smoother.  Plenty of mistakes on my part, but it should be up and running tomorrow if I am lucky.
I remember that, now you mention it. There was a lot of excitement at the time, but you now how it is with kits. I'm lucky if I finish one within a calendar year of when it was acquired. And I consider that a faster rate of work than the average.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Sturnella Toolworks by James Uhrich.  Guilty as charged, I have not completed mine.  It's on the list; like Bibliophile, I don't move fast on kits.  Here are a few links that I found.

Sturnella Infill Lumberjocks thread

Unit 5 Woodworks Completed Smoother

Unit 5 Pic and Shavings

But no detailed build threads, which would be nice to find.  I think Dallas Starter was working on his and started a thread here, but I don't think the thread went to the finish line.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Many moons ago, say about 20 years, there was a group buy of the St James Bay smoothing plane and Hock blades on the Oldtools list. The kit came as rough castings. I started mine then, did most of the work on the metal parts but didn't finish until I talked at length with Bob at St James Bay in Mesa, AZ. That was last year. So what if it as 20 years; you can't rush these things. It works beautifully. No pics because I can't make my Flickr account work with WN.
I haven't yet completed mine, but I do have a good bit of info on the details of the process. First off, here's a link to some Sturnella videos that are still present on Vimeo:

Sturnella Toolworks infill videos

I also have 4 PDF's that I created documenting the build process from back in 2013; three are captured threads from here (Woodnet), and one is a build thread from the Sturnella web site (gone now). I'd be happy to share them if someone can suggest a good place to dump them that's accessible to all.  Anyone want to volunteer to host them?

Cliff
Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!
(03-01-2017, 11:41 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote:   No pics because I can't make my Flickr account work with WN.

I use Flickr all the time, my preferred site.

go to "Photostream"

open a pic

click "Download" icon, last one at the bottom right  (looks like this: an arrow  ↓  pointing down with a horizontal line   _  under it)

choose "View all sizes"

right click anywhere on the displayed pic, and choose "Copy image address"

paste into url box in the attach photo icon in WoodNet software and click "insert" 

and Bob's your Uncle. . . . . 

[Image: 30211455182_6279ee7e8a_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis