Help needed
How can the cornhole board in the picture below be finished?

[Image: D9ED349B-08A2-457D-967B-B940162B9F5D_zpsdiqrxwcq.jpg]
(02-19-2017, 01:21 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: How can the cornhole board in the picture below be finished?

[Image: D9ED349B-08A2-457D-967B-B940162B9F5D_zpsdiqrxwcq.jpg]
Nice looking boards - lot of options but let us know whether these will be stored inside or left outside and subjected to the weather, especially rain?  If the latter situation is true, then some type of clear marine finish might be your best choice?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I agree using a Marine varnish. How about staining the brown area?
I've become a fan of painting with clear base paint for outdoor use. True marine varnish is expensive, though does a great job, whereas a gallon of paint is fairly inexpensive and does a nice job. I've had some adirondacks outside for 3 years with no retouching and no issues.
Not mentioned so far is the "texture" of the surface, i.e., smooth or rough?   My grand daughter made a couple of boards, tried them out and found that the bags slid down the board.  They need to stay in place so she asked me to put on a non skid surface.  I happened to have a can of Interlux  granular non skid material on hand and used that, i.e., mixed the granules with varnish and applied it to the surface of the boards.  Worked like a champ.    I suspect you could get the same result by applying a coat of varnish to the surface and then sprinkling on sand. 
      PS -  Why would you store those beautiful boards outside?
(02-19-2017, 03:22 PM)jcredding Wrote: I've become a fan of painting with clear base paint for outdoor use.   True marine varnish is expensive, though does a great job, whereas a gallon of paint is fairly inexpensive and does a nice job.  I've had some adirondacks outside for 3 years with no retouching and no issues.

What he^^^^^said. Here's some somewhat dated info. Anyway, the true marine spar (no box store stuff) would be good, but besides being expensive it also takes quite a few coats to get the protection needed. My only caution about the untinted paint would be that the oil based (if you can find it) looks very much like an oil based varnish, that is it will have the amber tint...and you may not want that on those beautiful boards. An acrylic exterior untinted base would be water clear. Mac (Kevin McReynolds) posted here he yused the SW A100 on a walnut cross for outside and had very good success with it. I've used the Olympic #5 acrylic exterior and it works very well also.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I might suggest a clear coat of epoxy followed by UV resistant varnish or untinted exterior base paint...satin finish... don't forget to seal the legs/portions of the board that touch the ground...