Which carbide tool do you have?
I am thinking of investing in a replaceable carbide tipped tool for roughing out bowls & such. I have plenty of gouges, etc. but I am leaning towards a square bar cutter to do rough work.

So, which tool do you have, and would you recommend it to someone else?
Thanks for any info.
Herb

You already met John and I got two of mine from him?  I know you were talking to him at one time of getting some.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Get a big gouge and you'll work as fast, with less strain on the mount and your arm.  You'll be able to cut downhill rather than pick and flick.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
For roughing out bowls, you'd want a round cutter.  I wouldn't recommend a square one.  Once I learned how to properly use a bowl gouge on the inside of bowls, I find it works a lot faster, and leaves a better surface.  The EZ Wood Tool gouges are somewhat limited in that you can only present one angle to the wood (presuming you use it according to the way they recommend).  The Hunter gouges are VERY sharp, and work more like a regular gouge, in that you ride the bevel.  Others sell carbide tipped cutters where you can make your own handle.  My recommendation is to learn to use your bowl gouge more efficiently.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Herb,
I have the Easy Wood tools.  On large bowls I often use the square cutter to hog out the bulk in "step" fashion.  Then use the round cutter to finish.  My reasoning: the cutters do not hold an edge very long especially in dry hard blanks; using the square first, saves the round cutter for the finish.  I do re-sharpen the cutters on diamond "stones".

Caution:  I have lost the skill to use my bowl gouges.  I am not a frequent turner, and have turned less than 100 bowls in the last 4 years.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-20-2017, 06:33 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Herb,
I have the Easy Wood tools.  On large bowls I often use the square cutter to hog out the bulk in "step" fashion.  Then use the round cutter to finish.  My reasoning: the cutters do not hold an edge very long especially in dry hard blanks; using the square first, saves the round cutter for the finish.  I do re-sharpen the cutters on diamond "stones".

Caution:  I have lost the skill to use my bowl gouges.  I am not a frequent turner, and have turned less than 100 bowls in the last 4 years.

I am with Bill.  Craig said when they first came out with the big square one to just plunge straight into the wood.
I gave my big square and big round EZ tools to a vet and regretted it and now got the same from John for 1/4 the price and made my own handles which I also posted here a month back or so.

However Not like Bill I still know how to use my gouges very well.
Winkgrin
Laugh

Bill

What diamond stones do you sharpen them with and a link to please.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

IMHO give it a go .... but make your own.

1/2" bar 1 foot long $6; Handle wood $6; appropriate drill bit and tap $6.
Then the cutter of your choice.
This is one lot's of folks use.  In the round they have sheer style that fit the Hunter or Harrison.
http://azcarbide.com/
I use the square by Extrema, box of 10 for $29.  German made.
http://www.extremausashop.com/index.php/...-pack.html
or any of many the other companies that sell different brands.
I do have a round in the sheer style but have not used it yet.  Rockler had the bar, screws, and two cutters for $20 so.. another wuttenbut.

I use mine only for roughing from the side grain.  Lots of folks use them for everything and love them but I find them restrictive for lots of my turning.
Arlin, I have been using the Trend 300/1000 combination for at least three years.  There is a caution...Do Not Get Aggressive...you can damage the surface.  About a week ago a WoodNeter posted he had lost significant areas on his Trend.  I have not had any issues...yet.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill

I thought lapping fluid was needed with those to keep it so it will not get that way?  I see it for sale in Klingspor when they send me a magazine every month or so and they suggest it highly.

Thanks when I can afford one I will get it so I can save even more money in the end.

+1 on Easy tools. I use the round cutter quite a bit and while its small it does catch as much as my 1 inch scraper.

Only down side is the cutters cost 15 a pop.
Don