Building a box questions
Hi all,
  I have a few weekends left to do woodworking before the warm weather pulls me out for yard work and fishing.

This winter I finished the bottom half of an armoire for the LOML and was using the remaining time to do a few projects for the shop.

However we were at the Portland Me. Rockler and they had just gotten in a pallet of what they called rustic Black walnut. My wife saw it and said " I've always wanted a keep sake box, You could buy some and make me one. " I love B.W. but at 10-13$ a BF around here it's to rich for my blood. This pallet was only 5.99$ a BF so I picked thru it. This was indeed "rustic 'wood with tons of sap wood, knots, etc., but I did find a couple of boards with no sap wood and minimal defects. All told about 6 BF.

I've never made a box so this should be a fun project.

My wife wants it to be about 9" X 11". Other than that she wants it to be a surprise.

I'm thinking of bringing the wood to about 1/2 and making some kind of splined mitered corners. other than that I'm not sure.

Should the top of the lid float? like a raised panel?

Do you build the box in one piece and then cut out the lid? if so on a band saw , table saw ?

Any thoughts, tips, you might have on design and construction would be greatly appreciated. I only have enough wood to do this once.

Thanks
                                                                  Jim
-- jbmaine
Not much time for posting right now but this might help answer some questions.
For Elizabeth (Tutorials)
As Always,
Gecko
http://www.geckosboxes.com
(02-20-2017, 06:30 AM)jbmaine Wrote: I've never made a box so this should be a fun project.
My wife wants it to be about 9" X 11". Other than that she wants it to be a surprise.
I'm thinking of bringing the wood to about 1/2 and making some kind of splined mitered corners. other than that I'm not sure.
Should the top of the lid float? like a raised panel?
Do you build the box in one piece and then cut out the lid? if so on a band saw , table saw ?
Any thoughts, tips, you might have on design and construction would be greatly appreciated. I only have enough wood to do this once.

Hi Jim - boy, a 'wide open' request - 
Winkgrin   I'm assuming that this is for jewelry?  There are so many choices - just google ' jewelry boxes woodworking plans' for plenty of hits - look at the images to see what might meet your needs?  Some considerations include: 1) Joinery; 2) Internal layered inserts; 3) Type of top (e.g. hinged or free lifting); 4) Drawers; and 5) Finish.  

I made the one shown below which addresses a number of these considerations (top is 7" x 11") - like the finger joints but a variety of joinery could be used.  So, look on line - also have several books by Doug Stowe on 'boxes', if you might want to go that route (if so, look on Amazon - Kindle editions are usually inexpensive).  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Here are a few ideas:

Corner splines, especially in contrasting wood add character. You can use straight or dovetail splines. I do my tops seperately. Quilting patterns are a great source for designs. Have fun!

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
thanks for the replies,

giradman--I assume the center of the lid floats? Was the piano hinge hard to install with it not on the edge (your pic looks like)  of the lid? What do your trays rest on, stepped sides?

papa Jim-- the lids are works of art.
-- jbmaine
(02-20-2017, 03:53 PM)jbmaine Wrote: giradman--I assume the center of the lid floats? Was the piano hinge hard to install with it not on the edge (your pic looks like)  of the lid? What do your trays rest on, stepped sides?

Hi Jim - I added some arrows to one of my pics below - the trays sit on two riders on either side, glued and pinned.  The birds-eye maple top insert is not glued but is contained w/i grooves, so like a frame & panel door.  The piano hinge is recessed as seen on the lower portion and is attached to a strip of mahogany glued to the back of the top - not that difficult to install but positioning has to be 'spot-on' - if you googled as I suggested and look @ images, there are a number of versions of the box I built (the plan was in one of the WW mags that I no longer get), but not sure if plans are available by following the links.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
As everyone has pointed out, there are hundreds of ways to skin this cat, but to address one of your specific questions; You may use either a table saw or band saw to cut the lid from a box. Generally speaking, a band saw is safer. One technique if you choose to use a table saw is to not quite cut deep enough to remove the top and then finish the cut with a utility knife. The trick is to leave just a thread holding it on.
What you don't want to happen is for the lid to fall into the blade. Likewise you don't want to trap the cut off lid between the blade and the fence.
If anone is interested I'll post my "secret lock" for a sliding lid box.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
As mentioned there are tons of ideas on how to make a box, types of boxes, styles of boxes and so on. There are utube videos, books, web sites and so on. Can not go into them all. 

But one golden rule whenever making a box, use stop blocks to get exact cuts. Weather you make all sides equal or just 2 sides, use stop blocks do not do by measurement alone.
John T.
Papa Jim, I'm always fascinated, by secret locks and hidden compartments in boxes! Please share your design if you would be so kind.