glue up expansion and contraction
I am working with all heart wood walnut.  My finished cut pieces will be about 5-3/4” wide.   I will be gluing up several pieces edge to edge.  Concerned about expansion and contraction, should I split the width in half or doesn’t matter.  I don’t think it will matter.  If I have 5 feet of glued up boards 12 in wide the total expansion will be the same as 5 feet of 3 in wide boards.  I am asking because I really don’t know.  I’m making a table top with a wishbone pattern
Thanks for your time,
Pete
Your reasoning is spot on.  Use well behaved, dry wood and don't worry about the width.  Ken
Expansion or contraction over the whole top will be the same no matter the width of the boards. Basically you will get some seasonal movement unless you have complete climate control. As long as your design allows for this, no problem.

Properly dry wood just means you start off somewhere in that small range of natural movement.
agreed with the other two responders and glad to see that nobody has jumped in to spread the wives tale of "make sure you alternate growth rings to prevent movement"

Your reasoning was spot on.