motor dead all of a sudden??
a few years back I changed out the dead motor in my attic fan housing.  It was dead when i bought the house.  Worked great in the heat for about a year, then hurricane sandy hit and a tree fell on the house and crushed the housing.  When the roof got replaced, contractor replaced the whole fan, housing..etc.  I held onto the motor with the thoughts of making an air filter for the shop out of it.
Finally getting around to it, and tested the motor... completely dead.  Not even a humm.... i bypassed the thermostat box and wired directly, took motor apart to see if there was damage to it, everything looks clean.  Any thoughts of what could be wrong here?

It's dead because it's worn out. Home Depot sells replacement motors for it.
My roof fan has a lifetime warranty on it. I've got 2 new motors in 12 years from the makers of it.
The field coil usually burns up on those. Take the cover off the other side and look. Either that or a broken wire.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
When hurricane sandy hit, the motor had like a year on it... not years and years of hot summers.  

I pulled the coil part out and looked at it, and where the b&w wires go into it... everything looks clean--nothing burned/broken.
Only other two items are the capacitor and the thermal protector.   The windings do not look bad.  If the fan was on when it was crushed the capacitor and protector are prime suspects.  Roly
Probably had a power surge & fried it then. It is 6 years old anyway you look at it.
Time for a new one if that's what you're going for.
If the housing is responsible for the rotor and armature running absolutely true and it is off just a bit, it won't run.
Also;
Ohm the motor winding's and see if it is open or not.
That looks brand new. Usually it's the capacitor that goes bad. Those motors don't last long here because the attic temps are so high. The capacitors tend to blow and leak when they go bad though.
Come to think about it- bet the thermal overload is open/burnt.
After Herb G mentioned warranty, I looked up in my old emails of when I bought it.  Installed it May 2012, Sandy happened in Oct 2012.  So it ran 5-6 months.  It was not running when the tree fell-- was too cold for the fan to be running.  They have a 5 yr warranty on it, so i'm still under 5 years, it's goin back!

Colin