bits not tight in router - why?
Wow!

Thank you all! I will do all of the above. Maybe it's just time for a new set of collets.
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
I've had some of my routers for more than 25 years, and have never needed to replace a collet.  Of course they can get damaged or worn, but I really doubt that's your problem. 

John
I would do as Mike said and measure the diameter of the shanks before investing in new collets just to make sure.
The problem may be the router lift. I have a Jessem lift and had that happen. There are two brass nuts on the lift screw with a rubber washer between them. The rubber washer keeps the screw from turning during use. To tighten up the washer, loosen the set screw and turn the top nut to the next slot in the nut. It is possible to make it too tight, so you may have to play with it.
That's an interesting tip. I installed it a long time ago and then forgot about it. Never thought about the lift. I'll try that too.
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
I had the lift problem also, took me a long time to figure it out.  But the symptoms did not include the tightening nut coming to a "hard" stop.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood