finally unburied my radon fan
Ok, so it's hanging from the ceiling, but it was permanently boxed in with plywood covered with drywall.  What I found other than the mounting straps had broken was that there was also a light switch controlling it that they had also buried.  Let's ignore for a minute that you aren't supposed to bury a junction box.  Anyway, is there any concern that the switch isn't rated for motors?  Isn't the issue that they can't handle the making and breaking of contacts?  Or should I swap it out?

It had rubber straps holding it up, which have failed. There isn't much vibration, I'm thinking about just using plumbers strapping to replace them.  I'll have to post a picture, there isn't much in the way of real estate to hold it up with. Or are there rubber straps that are meant for this kind of thing that will last a while?
I would not worry about the switch being motor rated for a small motor.   What type of switch operates your bath exhaust fan or even closer to being needed on you garbage disposal,  probably just a regular switch.  Also it is not used for repetitive on and off switching.    The rubber strapping was to quite the fan.    See if it is a problem with plumbers tape, they now have a plastic plumbers tape that may work.   Roly
Judging by your description, it sounds like the fan is in the interior of the house?  That would be the biggest concern to me.  If the rubber coupling on the output side of the fan leaks, you are pumping radon & tons of moisture directly into your house.  The fan should be installed outside home's envelope.
it's inside the house.  That's a really interesting point.  Have to rethink this.
(02-21-2017, 01:31 PM)DaveHo Wrote: Judging by your description, it sounds like the fan is in the interior of the house?  That would be the biggest concern to me.  If the rubber coupling on the output side of the fan leaks, you are pumping radon & tons of moisture directly into your house.  The fan should be installed outside home's envelope.

When I put in our radon system, I read a book about it. The author said he had never seen an instance where the rubber coupling failed with the exception of outdoor installations where the sun deteriorated the rubber. He also said that installers put the fans outside at a low level because it was easy. He recommended the fan be installed within a few feet of the discharge because they pull better than they push. And the pipe run as short as possible which usually meant running it up through a chase near the center of the house. Our home was single story and I was able to hide the pipe in the a bathroom closet. Obviously, that's much easier in a single story rancher style home. I doubt I'd try it in a 2 story.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-20-2017, 04:21 PM)EricU Wrote: Anyway, is there any concern that the switch isn't rated for motors?  Isn't the issue that they can't handle the making and breaking of contacts?  Or should I swap it out?

That's correct, a light switch does not have the capacity for even a small motor.

The issue is the arcing of the contacts, they readily cause fires.

Better to pay the $5 and buy a motor rated switch.
If you look at the specs for even the regular cheap light switches they have a 1/2 HP motor rating.    That is why they don't seem to have problems with bath exhaust fans and garbage disposals.
 HERE is a link to Levtion's switch sold at Home Depot for 69 cents .     I don't recommend the 69 cent switches, even they are rated for 1/2 HP.     Roly