Coping sled
I need to cope pieces of moulding that iam making and I usually try to use my miter square, but alot of time the pieces want to suck into the bit. I tried clamping it against the square but that doesn't really work as the piece is only a half inch thick. I looked at coping sleds and wanted to know which ones woodnetters like. I am not into building one , would rather buy one. Thanks.
(02-20-2017, 08:06 PM)mike9 Wrote: I need to cope pieces of moulding that iam making and I usually try to use my miter square, but alot of time the pieces want to suck into the bit. I tried clamping it against the square but that doesn't really work as the piece is only a half inch thick. I looked at coping sleds and wanted to know which ones woodnetters like. I am not into building one , would rather buy one. Thanks.

this one hands down

it is certainly the most thought out one and should meet your criteria
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I got mine from MLCS . It worked for me .
Mine is 15 years old , does not look the same

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

You don't really need a coping sled, although I'm not saying one might not be nice to have.  If you make a zero clearance fence for the router bit you're using, the workpiece can't get pulled out of alignment unless it's narrower than the width of the bit.  Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

[Image: wDMXD7UqzkvEAr9WXbVAA2BCnNnLBbQmjZ8YKlpD...38-h628-no]

I used that to make theses parts, and you see that the coped part is very narrow. 

[Image: Id0TW7LrBL9MtoZIwAUsnZV_FLP6LJKSvaOVl-on...38-h628-no]

I held the part against a square backer of MDF that had the negative profile milled into it, that rode along the fence.  I don't even have a miter slot on my router table. 

John
(02-20-2017, 08:15 PM)JGrout Wrote: this one hands down

I have to strongly second this one...  I've tried a number less expensive ones along with a home brewed sled or 2 but there was always something that left me less than satisfied....The Woodpecker unit is head and shoulders above the rest.   Biggest hurdle was getting over the price, but now I wish I had gotten it sooner.  Worth every penny.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(02-20-2017, 08:15 PM)JGrout Wrote: this one hands down

I have that sled and although it is very well made my beef is with Woodpeckers, I started to assemble the sled and found that I was short some hardware I called customer service and explained what I was shorted (1/4x 20 nuts and bolts), their reply was "you can get these at any hardware store", I asked them if this was the road they wanted to take and they said yes, well that was over ten yrs ago and I haven't dealt with them since all for about a dollar or less.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
I have one from Woodhaven that I am happy.  I had a knock off of the Infinity and it was nice also.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
You could make one. Not that hard to do!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(02-21-2017, 06:53 PM)woodhead Wrote: You could make one. Not that hard to do!

Al

That has always worked for me too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-21-2017, 07:17 PM)Steve N Wrote: That has always worked for me too.

If only he wanted to make one
Smile
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy