walnut table top input
Here is an example of solid wood matched in the way you have suggested. This is the interior of a door to an armoire, French Country style. It wouldn't be true to say this is the only way to do it in solid, but this is a typical example.
Here's the most telling part: This was constructed this way to imitate fancy constructed veneered furniture by a tradesman unfamiliar with veneered construction. That's right, solid wood meant to imitate veneered work. Veneer gets a bad rap for being "fake", or an "imitation of solid wood construction", but the fact is, it's really the other way around.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry, but this is a bad design for a table top (for solid wood, not veneer), but it is doable if you are willing to do expansion joints of polyurethane caulk.

Kingpost has a video on this process on YouTube.

Very often people want things done furniture-wise that aren't very ww'ing-wise and it can be difficult to explain it to them.
I'm glad to see rwe2156 is echoing what I pointed out. He's right. This just isn't a good idea. Designs of this type are one reason veneer work exists.
I've only done one shop sawn veneer project but it still looks great after 2 years and no issues. IIRC, I started with 3/32" and then hand planed down to at least 1/16" or a tad less. I used 1.5" MDF as my substrate. Solid hardwood edge attached with biscuits. Everything is still nice and tight. I'll post some pics tonight.