Best 2 part epoxy to stabilize knots in alder?
I'm going to be making some cabinets from knotty alder and want to know what people are doing to stabilize the knots.

Duke
Nobody's responded so I'll put in my 2 cents.  I think if you use epoxy, you might spend more on the epoxy than you will on the wood, depending on how many knots you have to stabilize.  Epoxy will cure very hard, and be very demanding on your jointer/planer blades.  I would use something like CA (cyanoacrylate) glue.  Thin CA is often used by turners to stabilize punky wood.  Some will color the epoxy to match or complement the stain, then fill the knots after the piece is milled.  If you decide to use epoxy, choose one that has a longer cure time, so you can mix up larger batches and patch more knots vs. mixing a bunch of small batches.  If you use it after milling, then be prepared to remove excess epoxy prior to it curing.  It's sort of a one shot deal with epoxy.  You mess it up, and you are stuck with it.   System Three Clear Coat is a penetrating, low viscosity epoxy that might solve your problem.  It cures clear unless you add a dye to it.  I've seen some recommend Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty as well to fill knots.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I just finished filling a couple knot holes in Cherry and Maple.  I used West System epoxy and had good luck filling and finishing the knot holes.  I sand them rather than using machines to level the epoxy.  The West System takes 24 hours to cure to a level that you can sand it without it clogging the paper.  If you want a really clear polished finish on the epoxy invest in some Micro-Mesh to polish the epoxy.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(02-21-2017, 10:27 AM)JDuke Wrote: I'm going to be making some cabinets from knotty alder and want to know what people are doing to stabilize the knots.

Duke

The cheapest 5 minute you can find. It does not have to be the best you are going to cover it up anyway 

or if not in a hurry longer is cheaper
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I'll probably be burned at the stake for admitting this but I just use the stuff they sell at harbor freight. I fill whatever knots/defects I deem noticeable after milling and then sand it down.
-Marc

For turning I use cheap 5 minute mixed with coffee grounds when I fill a dark knot.   I stabilize punky knots with thin CA and fill deep cavities with epoxy.
(02-21-2017, 08:54 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I'll probably be burned at the stake for admitting this but I just use the stuff they sell at harbor freight. I fill whatever knots/defects I deem noticeable after milling and then sand it down.

if you fill slightly low Marc and skip the sanding it looks more natural after finishing 

saves you coloring as well use a bit of black aniline dye on alder knots  or coffee grounds to color it
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have two different epoxies I use. For most things I use the 5 minute stuff you can buy at Home Depot that comes in two 4 oz containers. When I want to make sure the epoxy penetrates all the way through a knot to the other side and doesn’t have any bubbles I use the stuff linked to below. All and all it is probably cheaper than stuff from Home Depot when you compare what you pay per oz. The thing I like about the System Three stuff is it is really thin and bubbles flow out of it really well. It also takes a few hours to cure giving it time to soak in. In many cases I just don't want to wait the cure time but it really is a great product. Also pick up some Trans Tints dye. A drop will give you the color you need to make the epoxy match the knot color.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/syste...2f2f00139b