Bathtub Refinish ?
Had our cast iron bathtub refinished in place about 30 years ago.
Pretty good job - but in need of refinishing again.
Des Moines area has "Bathfitters.
Wondering if anyone has experienced one of these plastic covers - price and opinion ?

I'm thinking that sanding & refinishing would be considerably cheaper and perhaps something I could do as a handyman ?

Thanks
Gary
When it was done by a pro, it lasted a long time.

Hire a pro.... refinishing a tub is not amatuer work.

We had our bathroom redone by Re Bath, after comparing them to Bathfitters.

But bear in mind, ours was more an issue of tilework failing than refinishing a tub.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
You don't want to do that yourself, for this job it's well worth the money to hire the pro. As for Bathfitters, I have no experience but their display at the local home show is not very impressive. Their stuff really looks cheesy (IMHO).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nicole Curtis of HGTV "Rehab Addict" said in one episode that she had refinished a tub herself in the past but would now only use professionals.  They have special chemicals to etch the surface of the tub for good adhesion and the right equipment for spraying the finish.  The quality of the finish has improved over the years.  So your 30 year tub is probably a 40 year tub nowadays.

I would take a refinished cast iron tub over a brand new plastic one.  

For me that is an endorsement of the refinish process.  A good job on the tub will pass for an original finish.  I would not use it on tile walls as the same color/texture for the grout lines scream "fake" to me.  

The acrylic liners seem cheap and shabby to me.  Like a low rent hotel room.  I don't like the look and I would not use it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thank you everyone for your input. I must admit that I do feel quite a bit better leaving this to the professionals. I have since found a couple refinishers in the area. Plan on giving them a call when it is time.

Gary
As for three references. 

One recent, one two years old and one 5 or more years old.  

It will give a better picture of the quality of their work than all recent references.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.