Anyone make a beard comb?
As my winterbeard reaches its full majesty, I'm finding the little plastic comb I use inadequate for my morning routine. I've seen beard care product sites selling combs made from exotic materials for 15-20 bucks, but what is more manly for one's manly beard than making your own comb?!? Since I don't have any buffalo horn handy, I'm assuming a nice smooth grained wood like maple or cherry would be ideal. 

It's nearing the spring shearing season where it will return to a still manly summerbeard, but I still think it would be a fun project. 
Anyone make one? 

Example:
[Image: Live-Bearded-Beard-Comb-Front_1024x1024....1459890019]
Benny

i read the thread title "bear comb" and then saw a wood comb in the thread.... you can try to get up close to a bear and use that thing, not sure he/she is gonna be so into it!  hahaha
Haha good catch! I hate dumb typos that spell-check won't catch
Smile How un-manly of me... Updated!
Benny

60 plus degrees in Ohio in February. The other day I was out doing what could just barely be called work, and my face got sweaty. Winterbeard went to Summertime beard le' petite Much better.....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Now this is something I could use myself.  It's been in the 70's here in VA but I refuse to go into summer mode yet with my facial hair because the way our weather works around here we'll have 10" of snow on the ground in a couple of weeks.
Confused
Big Grin
I made a comb for my wife from maple and she keeps it in her purse and really likes it. Now, let make this clear... it AIN'T for combing beards (just beating Arlin and Jack to the punch)! It was the second one I made, the first from black walnut. This was an exercise in playing with scraps. The challenge is forming the taper from the back of the comb toward the business end. It is this taper that seems to controls the flex in the teeth. The spacing of the teeth sets how fine the comb works in smoothing. The teeth aren't too bad to form, I used a bandsaw with a 1/4" blade. I tried to duplicate the spacing and thickness of the comb she said was her favorite. The pain is sanding between the teeth, it doesn't take too long, but is sort of like filing a saw. When I made these combs I tapered after sawing the teeth, that way you can use the tapering thickness to control the flex in the teeth. The taper isn't straight it sort of scoops fairly quickly at the back then slightly tapers to the points, which should be rounded by sanding. From what I've read, wooden combs are actually preferred over other materials, it has something to do with the oils clinging to the wood. I don't really know since my hair style has a really large part down the middle, you know .... a face that goes all the way to the back of the head!
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(02-22-2017, 05:09 PM)Steve N Wrote: 60 plus degrees in Ohio in February. The other day I was out doing what could just barely be called work, and my face got sweaty. Winterbeard went to Summertime beard le' petite Much better.....

(02-22-2017, 06:27 PM)Duane N Wrote: Now this is something I could use myself.  It's been in the 70's here in VA but I refuse to go into summer mode yet with my facial hair because the way our weather works around here we'll have 10" of snow on the ground in a couple of weeks.
Confused
Big Grin

Supposed to hit 60 here too, 40 Sunday, 50s all next week, and the little text on the extended forecast for next Saturday said " PM snow?) So yeah, I'll ride it out a little longer
Smile
Benny

(02-22-2017, 08:09 PM)jppierson Wrote: I made a comb for my wife from maple and she keeps it in her purse and really likes it.  Now, let make this clear... it AIN'T for combing beards (just beating Arlin and Jack to the punch)!  It was the second one I made, the first from black walnut.  This was an exercise in playing with scraps.  The challenge is forming the taper from the back of the comb toward the business end.  It is this taper that seems to controls the flex in the teeth.  The spacing of the teeth sets how fine the comb works in smoothing. The teeth aren't too bad to form, I used a bandsaw with a 1/4" blade.  I tried to duplicate the spacing and thickness of the comb she said was her favorite.  The pain is sanding between the teeth, it doesn't take too long, but is sort of like filing a saw.  When I made these combs I tapered after sawing the teeth, that way you can use the tapering thickness to control the flex in the teeth.  The taper isn't straight it sort of scoops fairly quickly at the back then  slightly tapers to the points, which should be rounded by sanding.  From what I've read, wooden combs are actually preferred over other materials, it has something to do with the oils clinging to the wood.  I don't really know since my hair style has a really large part down the middle, you know .... a face that goes all the way to the back of the head!

Thanks for the tips! I think I have some walnut scraps... The preference does have something to do with the oils. Also, when it's shorter, the fine teeth of my plastic comb are fine. But a more open tooth would be nice when long, less snagging. Do you recall what thickness material you started out with?
Benny

1/4" - 3/8" or so. Another alternative to the tapered back would be to laminate the handle with contrasting wood. Whatever feels comfortable to the hand.
Train to be miserable...
Amost forgot, and not to be insulting but, use straight grained wood and orient the grain to parallel the teeth. The transition from heartwood to sap wood makes a neat looking comb.
Train to be miserable...