Wrapping Up a Crib (Fort) for GGSON
Nearly finished - all white oak - extremely heavy - Trim around the top of the front and sides will be added, then blue/gray stain and several coats of wipe-o poly will complete this project.

[Image: DSCN3598.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3599.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3600.jpg]

r2
Wow, nicely done.
Yes
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Does it open? Looks heavy for sure
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
It'll be bolted together - front and back will have 4" stainless steel bolts that will screw into threaded brass inserts in the sides.

Believe me - it's heavy - all that I can do to muscle the back onto the workbench for final sanding.

r2
Exactly how strong is this kid.
Laugh  
Laugh  Very nice job it will certainly not get worn out.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(02-22-2017, 06:25 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Exactly how strong is this kid.
Laugh  
Laugh  Very nice job it will certainly not get worn out.

Mel

He isn't born yet, but his parents-to-be have already picked out the name Atlas for him. 
Big Grin

r2
Something that will be passed down for generations for sure.  Is this a surprise or do they already know about the crib?

Excellent craftsmanship.
Cool
(02-22-2017, 06:48 PM)Duane N Wrote: Something that will be passed down for generations for sure.  Is this a surprise or do they already know about the crib?

Excellent craftsmanship.
Cool

They've been involved from the beginning. GSON stated immediately after finding out that a baby was coming, "I want to have my Grandpa build a crib." GDIL found a picture of one on the web that she wanted one like, so we copied the design. It's been a wonderful family experience working on this together.

r2
Very nice Job!!  That should last for generations.  Make sure you go to a hobby shop and get a brass plate for your name and date made.  Who ever has it generations form now will know who in the family made it.  I made two for may grand children.
(02-22-2017, 08:37 PM)pmaczik Wrote: Very nice Job!!  That should last for generations.  Make sure you go to a hobby shop and get a brass plate for your name and date made.  Who ever has it generations form now will know who in the family made it.  I made two for may grand children.

I have a branding iron for this purpose, then I drill a 3/4" hole about 1/32" deep and insert a penny for the year I made the item.

r2