air return vent ?
(02-23-2017, 03:45 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Maybe that is standard for Texas but not for northern states

It's standard for the majority of the country. Course up north they are using down flows with a single return at the ceiling and many houses there have the ducts in the slab. The majority of houses in the us don't have basements.
At this point I'm only planning on replacing the AC. When he put the furnace in my shop I asked his advice on the house and he mentioned that it would be better to have returns in each of the two rooms as well as the one currently in the "living room", I believe cause of the newer high efficiency furnaces and to some degree air flow.

As far as I'm concerned the one big vent is fine if it will work. Right now the rooms seem pretty even as far as temp. My house is just a two bedroom and the return is pretty close to being dead center in the house. My only concern is if I'm going to do the vents I'd kind of like to do them now before I put the flooring in the room I'm remodeling so I can get the wood vent covers with the mortise so I can have it sit level with the floor.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I probably wouldn't fuss with it now.  If it becomes an issue later, wall mounted grilles are an option that's pretty easy.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

My last house was a two-story, with the A/C air handler in the attic (retrofit) and the single return in the upstairs ceiling. The rooms had no returns, of course. Temperatures in the rooms were fine, though it helped to keep the doors open at least a little. But the upstairs hallway, which was where all the bedrooms were, was very warm. As you might expect.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
You can also use jump ducts. The other way is if you have high ceilings you can cut in In a vent in the wall above the door. I personally prefer to have returns over a big  ugly chunk of the door cut off the door bottom.
(02-24-2017, 07:29 PM)blackhat Wrote: I probably wouldn't fuss with it now.  If it becomes an issue later, wall mounted grilles are an option that's pretty easy.

yeah, I'll probably go that route now. I misstated the joist, it is a support beam the the joists go into.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy