Ken's New Jointer - She's a Beauty
Dave, if you are willing to buy a used machine you can get a great deal.  Ken paid no more than a new 12" Grizzly with helical head, even with the cost of shipping and the VFD to run the 3 phase motor on single phase power.  That's probably $7K less than a new one of this caliber.  I know for you it's not as simple as that, but there might still be a sweet spot by buying a used machine through a dealer or paying someone else to make sure it works properly and bring it to your door.  

John
(02-24-2017, 05:27 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Yes, we should all be so fortunate.

Good work.  Looking forward to seeing how you get it off the pallet and into its final spot.

Ken's a good friend, and friends help friends. 

I have a couple of ideas of how to get the machine off the skid.  I think Ken would like to put this monster on a mobile base; if so, that sort of narrows my idea to a hoist and home built gantry type crane.  Shouldn't be too hard.  

John
You two are practically pros at moving these big ol' machines now. Maybe an "on-the-side" retirement business should be considered. A partnership, of course.

John,
You are the hardest working guy I know (especially for a retired dude)!  I think you should sell your own line of vitamins. 
Big Grin
Big Grin

Lonnie
(02-25-2017, 01:57 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: John,
You are the hardest working guy I know (especially for a retired dude)!  I think you should sell your own line of vitamins. 
Big Grin
Big Grin

Lonnie

Ha, that's funny and you'll see why in a moment.  I used to take a multi-vitamin, did for more than 25 years.  Then in my late 40's I started feeling pretty poorly, almost dizzy, no energy, just lousy.  Being I guy I didn't do anything about it until I felt really poor.  Finally went to my GP and he ordered all kinds of tests.  Nothing.  For a healthy guy how could I feel so poor?  He had no clue.  Finally, I decided to stop drinking, not that I have ever drank very much, stop drinking coffee, stop taking vitamins, and pretty much eat like a monk.  In about 2 weeks I felt great.  Over the next few weeks I added back one thing at a time, about a week apart, and when I started to take the vitamins again within a week I started to feel poorly.  So I stopped taking them and a few days later I felt fine again.   I switched vitamin brands - same result.  I haven't taken another vitamin since. 

Several years later the exact same thing happened with my neighbor.  Even more tests, nothing.  I told him about my vitamin experience.  10 days later he felt fine. 

Be careful with vitamins.  They are not w/o side effects, at least for some folks. 

As for being hard working, what I do now is nothing compared to my corporate days.  The pay is a lot less now but the fun is much higher.   

John
Just threw my vitamins in the trash...........I'll let you know how it works.

I only had 4 left in the bottle..........
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If I were taking it off the skid and onto a mobile base.  I would leave the machine attached to one of the wide 4x s to keep it from rolling when you lift the other end and cut the 4 x off and out of the way.  Probably use channel open end down bolt to machine  add wheels on ends.  Pry bar can get it up high enough for blocks to allow for it or a cherry picker if you have one available
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Great looking machine, nice job moving it ..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

Nice looking machine and very nice job moving it! 
Yes What is the HP on the motor, John?

Doug
I hope the blade guard is someplace on the pallet 

Nice machine for sure 

And good for John to help out a friend  

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy