?? About linseed oil
I have decided that I am going to use linseed oil for the finish on my big green egg table. I made it out of cypress.  The table will be under a covered porch and I am also going to purchase a cover for the table itself.

Question is this- how many coats should I apply for the initial application? Is one good coat enough or so I need to apply multiple coats? I understand that I will have to reapply periodically.

also, do I need to use linseed oil or boiled linseed oil?

Thanks
Have you thought of a wiping varnish? It is an in the wood finish you can concoct yourself. An initial formula is 1/3 BLO, 1/3 any old oil based varnish, and 1/3 mineral spirits. Soaks into the wood and is a reasonable indoor finish.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
"Boiled" linseed oil actually has metallic driers added to speed up the curing, without them (raw linseed oil) the drying time is just short of a lifetime event.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Good one Fred and so true!
The traditional schedule:

Daily for a week, weekly for a month, monthly for a year, yearly thereafter.

Something like that.
If you do use boiled linseed oil be very careful about spontaneous combustion.    It is noted for it.    Curious as to your reasons for wanting to use it as a finish it itself.     Roly
I thought using linseed oil would be good because it makes the cypress grain look good. If I use  stain it covers some of the grain and does not look as good.

The linseed is very easy to apply. With stain you can get light and dark splotches if you don't apply evenly. I didn't want a film finish like poly because it has a tendency to develope cracks and would require sanding when it is time to recount.
Danish oil, or some other oil/varnish finish will look just as good as BLO, dry more quickly, and provide better protection. 

John
Agree with you on the coloring linseed oil provides.  Suggest using a coat or two, let it soak in for a while and wipe off excess.   After it cures apply a finish coat over it such as the oil varnish blend that is easy to recoat at a later time.   Linseed oil as a finish can mildew outside.    Don't underestimate the spontaneous combustion issue with it.   Spread out the rags to dry.   Roly
(02-26-2017, 07:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: "Boiled" linseed oil actually has metallic driers added to speed up the curing, without them (raw linseed oil) the drying time is just short of a lifetime event.

Yep. 

But even with BLO, to get anything resembling a build of finish: once a day for a.week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then once a year.

But seriously, two or three soakings and wipe downs in a few days and then as it looks "dry" is fine for outdoors.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin