Leaking Water Main?
Normally I would agree with you but water can stay in an old trench line a long way depending on soil type and so forth. I would tend to the replace it all solution if it's that old.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(02-26-2017, 12:02 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: If the sump is filling, I would assume the leak is near it. Out of curiosity, is this a deep or shallow well and how far from the house?

well is about 60' from the house. I assume deep. he's not sure. the last permit on the well is from the late 80s and there's not much on it. the company named on the permit no longer exists. we think that the line/trench is pitched towards the house. the basement is a walkout. at the house, the line is about 5' below grade, give or take a few inches. It would be extremely rare that the entire water line is buried that deep.
I would assume it's just below your regional "frost line". Sometimes, if you look closely, you can see a slight swail where the earth has settled over the line. Even if it's been there a long time. You may also see a much greener, lusher area of growth over the leak. It only takes a few days of leaking to green up a lawn.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay