Which Router...
Hey all, Just built a router table extension wing for my table saw. I have the blank Kreg insert. Here's the question. I have the Dewalt 2.25hp DW618 var. speed, Bosch 2.25hp 1617EVS, and 2 Porte Cable 690s. Not the greatest choices but which if any would you mount. Thanks

Also, the top is around 27"x30", 1.25" MDF + 3/8" oak plywood on the underside of the MDF. Also wrapped the bottom perimeter of the top with hardwood.  thanks again
I have a Bosch 1617EVS in my router table, also on an extension wing of my TS.  It replaced a PC 690.  Given your choices I would pick whichever of the two variable speed units you don't like for hand held use.  The nice thing about the Bosch 1617EVS is that it can spin a really large panel raising bit because it has a very large opening in the base, larger even than many higher HP routers.  This may or may not be of importance to you. 

John
I too have an army of routers, many more than you do, and I was recently thinking about yet another router table, and had your same question. I Googled to see what others had thrown out online, and THis article added a few thoughts I should have been adding to my mix Mainly how to adjust, and how to change bits. I was thinking power, and hole size like john mentioned already.

Keep in mind you can add a dead man start switch, or a similar switch, except it turns fixed speed into variable. Always figure in an I switch that auto starts your dust collection with tool start up as well.

I currently have 2 tables with the 3 1/2 Hp Triton router in them, and really like that tool, I also had my oldest router set up still in use. It's one of those Bench Dog router boxes with a PC690, and it does Yeoman's work on all but the biggest bits. I would have to buy another Triton to use that, so I'm still trying to figure it out. I have a mess of 690's though.  
Big Grin

Thoughts on the subject from "Router Forum"

When it comes down to it, none of the 3 would be a horrendous choice. I think John hit it when he said sacrifice the one you do NOT like using hand held.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I currently have a Bosch 1617 in my router table.  I like the above the table, micro adjustment capability.  Only issue I have is that it seems to be binding when I raise/lower it.  It just doesn't work smoothly.  Now perhaps I have an accumulation of dust packed in and around the housing that is causing this problem, but I had a Craftsman router in a different table for years and never had any trouble with it.  The Craftsman had the threaded ring height adjustment, similar to the Dewalt 618.  It's possible that the tolerances between the base and the motor housing are just tighter on the Bosch and if I take it out and clean it thoroughly, it will work better.  I don't recall this being an issue when I first got it.  I also don't have the greatest dust collection, only hooked up to the top with a shop vac.  A lot of dust & chips end up in the cabinet, with the router.  Just something to consider.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill, I had the same problem with my Bosch 1617.  You are right, a lot of sawdust can pack in there if you don't have good dust collection - and I don't.  But I think the bigger issue is that the motor housing "grabs" in the base unless you keep it waxed.  I bet yours will be nice and smooth again if you take it out, clean out the dust, and wax the motor housing. 

John
Yes. I too notice the same issue on the Bosch. Need to handle it gently or it binds up on adjustment. I do like the adjustment ring in the Dewalt plus the lock makes the bit switch easy with 1 wrench.
(02-26-2017, 12:52 PM)jeffss Wrote: Yes. I too notice the same issue on the Bosch. Need to handle it gently or it binds up on adjustment. I do like the adjustment ring in the Dewalt plus the lock makes the bit switch easy with 1 wrench.

If you wax it it doesn't bind. 

John
Will do John. Turns out the Dewalt and the Bosch have the same 3 hole pattern under the plate. Now I have options!  Thanks all
The PC 690 three hole pattern is the same as one of the hole patterns on the Bosch, too, so you have even more options. 

John
IIRC, the Bosch will need an adapter to accept the standard inserts and collars.  The DW will accept them as is.  It's a minor thing, but worth mentioning,
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....