I cringed watching Ask This Old House
Well, I think Ask This Old House does a nice service to non-professionals.  Those who have a hankering to work with wood had to learn like most of us did and are still learning.  Thank goodness there is a place to go like here where all the pros can tell them what to watch out for and how to do it.
He did say he was leaving the end pieces on. He said he is taking light cuts. If you listened to the cuts you could hear there were skips in the cuts where it was taking  off so little. he did nothing wrong. I would have done the same thing. Remember he has to do that in about 10 minutes for a segment of the half hour show. Being an electrician I cringe at some of the things their electrician shows. Talk about dangerous. The problem so many things are left out or unseen because of time constraints.

Still think that show is better than This Old House. They just finished a huge renovation. I wish they would tell you how much those renovations cost. I bet that one was well over a million dollars. I know they get donations and things but for the general public, unless you have money to burn that is alot of cash to do what they did. That porch alone with all that CNC work and then just shingling it, cost more than my entire house.
John T.
I agree, and maybe what some think might happen did.  They just didn't show that part.  It's just a guess, I think we all have done things a little unsafe.  I'll just take a minute. :-)  I record both versions of This Old House so I don't miss anything for years. That home you talked about was something.  There is something in ever show I learn just like here.  Wacky wood was the one I didn't know existed.

Pete
I'm a cutting board non conformer. I've made about 20 boards over the years and ran them all through a Delta 13" portable planer. I glue runners on the sides and 6" solid wood leaders/trailers (?) to the cutting board. I take VERY small passes at the slower speed......takes a while, probably dulls the blades faster, but I get good results.
Yes, it can be done safely. 

Check this guy out he does some amazing work.  I suspect he's got a helical head planer.
(02-26-2017, 04:11 PM)Steve N Wrote: Below is a video from MTMWOOD who is a commercial maker of incredible end grain boards, we have all oooohed and ahhhhhhed his work. Here he talks about the safe way to do this, and it greatly reduces your time, gives the best finish, and if you follow a few rules you won't have any issues.

This video is the first thing I thought of when I saw that episode. It wouldn't have taken any more time if Tommy had just said "...because it's end grain."  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that it's a PINE cutting board!

Quote:Steve N
[quote pid='7439000' dateline='1488162948']
Yeah, I'm not leaving Tommy off the hook. As far as safety education he, Narmon, well the whole lot of them, with the exception of the much abused Scott Phillips don't so squat toward teaching noobs what is what about shop safety. Scott may make some crazy projects, and he's gone blind as far as finishing goes, but he really does consistently tell you what to do as far as safe operation. He always seems to be able to show you the cut even with saw guards, splitters, and kick back pawls attached, even if he is using a hot dog eater.

(02-26-2017, 09:41 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Many of these shows have a verbal and/or written disclaimer during the show that guards have been removed for video description of what they are demonstrating.

As mentioned above about Scott P, I don't buy the whole guards removed for clarity thing. He does it just fine. I don't need to see the teeth actually cut the wood, I can see two pieces come out the other end!
[/quote]
Benny

I had the exact same thought, and even remarked to my wife how unsafe that was.  I know there are some who say they do this often and have never had problems.  I just don't think it's a good idea.  As well, they were using what appeared to be pine for an end grain cutting board.  Huh?  Pine?  I don't care if it's old growth or not.  I don't think pine is a good choice for a cutting board.  Shame on you, ATOH!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-27-2017, 02:01 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: He did say he was leaving the end pieces on. He said he is taking light cuts. If you listened to the cuts you could hear there were skips in the cuts where it was taking  off so little. he did nothing wrong. I would have done the same thing. Remember he has to do that in about 10 minutes for a segment of the half hour show. Being an electrician I cringe at some of the things their electrician shows. Talk about dangerous. The problem so many things are left out or unseen because of time constraints.

I disagree that it's safe just because it's light cuts.  It only takes a very small piece of that board to get pried loose by the cutter and ejected back into the torso of whoever is standing behind the planer.  As far as time goes, the show is edited.  You don't think they really made that cutting board in 10 minutes, do you?  There's no reason in the world he has to use a planer on end grain.  If you don't have a drum sander, grab your belt sander or palm sander and have at it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Funny... I mentioned to my wife that when I tried that, I blew up a cutting board!
Laugh

Not saying that it can't, but a planer shouldn't kick back like a tablesaw. Mine didn't.

I found a guy that will drum sand a few cutting boards for a case of beer. win / win
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15