building a new workbench part one
(03-02-2017, 01:05 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: ???

Why you would sell a great bench and then build (what looks to be a vastly inferior) one out of plywood and 2x4's?

He's stepping us first through his prototyping process. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Tom- 

Thinking about the length of your bench - unless it is a really short bench height-wise, wouldn't the tail vise stick out over the tail gate of your truck if you built the bench 8' long?  Doesn't look like you have a shell on your pickup and unless you plan to put the bench in the truck upside down seems like the vise would clear the tail gate.

Phil
Good catch Phil.

I know there is a lot of reading but this is out there. ( Anyway I had it all figured out and then I said to my wife that I planned on entering it at the county fair and quite possibly the state fair. And she asked how I was going to get it there. I said in my pickup truck, it has an eight foot bed. And she asked will it fit since the handle will stick out. You can't close the tail gate. To which I said, back to the drawing board.) I guess I haven't mastered how to quote yet.

And I will say that saved me a lot of problems down the road. and to make a long story short I only had to shorten the top 6 inches.

So the question is why am I going through all of this?

I don't have a bench and I hate working off from plastic saw horses.
I will not wear gloves when working around or near machinery. and it is still cold here in Iowa and my shop is unheated. I also won't work when my hands are cold, back to the glove issue which is really a safety issue.

And the one real issue is I started building a work bench for my grandson, who is always building or fixing something, And I can't tell you how many times I went over to my bench to measure something. I stopped that build to build 14 feet of what my daughter calls cubbies for a brand new grand daughter before winter set in. Since then I sold my blue print ( work bench) And there were some things about my former work bench I functional.

Tom
Thanks for sharing the prototyping process. Looking forward to watching this come together.
I was afraid someone would take you up on that offer when you stated you would sell that bench for the right price.

Crazy 

I will enjoy watching this build though.
I love building work benches. I would build one for anyone if the price is right. It got warm enough for me to get a jump start and I cut up a 95 pound chunk cherry got the legs and frame. I cut it in three pieces. It is over 4 inches thick and a little over 10 inches wide. I did manage to get the pieces through the band saw and got the posts squared up.

[Image: DSC03162_zps1l2kfyzf.jpg]

[Image: DSC03164_zpsmo7xeunf.jpg]

[Image: DSC03163_zpsx8fd81is.jpg]
I seen that pickup truck before.
Yes   I also love your house to and how it is setup.

Someday I will have you build a bench for me and I hope you win at the fair to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.