http://www.shakerovalbox.com/
Anybody know if they are still a going concern? Tried to "Contact us" and it just sent me to Google. Figured to try the phone tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any 411 on them.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-26-2017, 10:07 PM)Steve N Wrote: Anybody know if they are still a going concern? Tried to "Contact us" and it just sent me to Google. Figured to try the phone tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any 411 on them.

John Wison?  As far as I know, he is still in business but the phone is probably better for him.  

John ran a class here in Kansas City this summer.  Seemed like he was live during that time...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks Rob

I did call, and got in touch with John, very nice Man, and got all my questions answered. LOML and I are going to do a class with him, we just need to decide on a date.

GW
John must be getting up there in years.
I still have patterns and tacks I purchased long ago when I was doing those boxes.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a DVD about making them but do not know if it is by him or not.  I like it and someday I will have us make them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-01-2017, 12:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: John must be getting up there in years.
I still have patterns and tacks I purchased long ago when I was doing those boxes.

His pic looks to be of a Man in his 70's, but talking to him he sounded as robust as a 30 year old. Did you make some boxes? I know the Ohio farm guy at the north central part of the state had posted some a while back. I'll be darned if I can remember his name right now,
Upset
Upset
Upset me and name memory have never been great, but worse as I have birthdays. I know from that thread I got a little interested. LOML also expressed interest, and we investigated a class at Marc Adams school, but it was filled. Turns out it's John teaching it.

Arlin I only know of John Wilson having a book, but I might be under-educated on Shaker basket writers. Now Kasay, and some Shaker writers had them well covered, but not from a here's how to make one point of view. I think John has been the major teacher of our time, and there are several others he's taught who have gone out giving classes. Once we get your bandsaw figured out, you'll be good to resaw, and a lot of the rest is easy enough to work out. I think if I had patterns I could make one just from the reading I've done about them, since I got interested. There are several good videos on You Tube, if you searched Shaker baskets you would find plenty. One guy has 9 videos of him making them, and some treenware at a woodworking club gathering.

GW
(03-01-2017, 05:19 PM)Steve N Wrote: His pic looks to be of a Man in his 70's, but talking to him he sounded as robust as a 30 year old. Did you make some boxes? I know the Ohio farm guy at the north central part of the state had posted some a while back. I'll be darned if I can remember his name right now,  
Upset  
Upset  
Upset me and name memory have never been great, but worse as I have birthdays. I know from that thread I got a little interested. LOML also expressed interest, and we investigated a class at Marc Adams school, but it was filled. Turns out it's John teaching it.

Arlin I only know of John Wilson having a book, but I might be under-educated on Shaker basket writers. Now Kasay, and some Shaker writers had them well covered, but not from a here's how to make one point of view. I think John has been the major teacher of our time, and there are several others he's taught who have gone out giving classes. Once we get your bandsaw figured out, you'll be good to resaw, and a lot of the rest is easy enough to work out. I think if I had patterns I could make one just from the reading I've done about them, since I got interested. There are several good videos on You Tube, if you searched Shaker baskets you would find plenty. One guy has 9 videos of him making them, and some treenware at a woodworking club gathering.

Yea some years back I made about 6 full sets. Walnut and cherry. I resawed all the wood.
I had all the box and lid assembly and drying plugs made. Even built a toothpick pin drill setup with a 1/3hp electric motor.
Had 2 heat plates and a 3' or so long gutter tank made for soaking and heating.

Only thing I have left is the strip cutout patterns made out of alum I think. Also have a bunch of the copper tacks left.
You need the patterns and tacks? I have no need for them now.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I made one of these after I saw an example at a local antique store.  I love bending wood, so it was a pretty natural project for me.  Don't remember who I gave it to. I had some soft maple resawn to the right thickness that I made it out of