different splined miter joint?
Interesting, I'd not seen that method before.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I really don't see the point of cutting most of the mitered joint away just to replace it with a square stick. A regular spline seems better.
Wood is good. 
There's no spline so it's not a splined miter joint.  But it's an interesting approach and maybe nice for a decorative box application or something similar.  Otherwise.  Meh. 

John
Different strokes for different folks. I like it and as I said I use it all the time. I also do the stop dado as he mentions also. Very easy to do and makes for a nice solid joint with the grain running its strongest way. That is what the joint is all about. Much more glue surface than just gluing the corners.
John T.
I like it.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(02-28-2017, 11:43 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I like it.

I would like it a lot more if it was not for the cross grain spline.

it can be overcome but like John it seems like a lot  for little
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

That's the one.

I'm not saying it's better or worse, only it was different and I hadn't seen it before. For the right application it looks nice and is easy to do.

thanks
                                              Jim
-- jbmaine
I sure wouldn't see the sense of it being done blind, no real increase in hold, a lot of work just for you to know a piece of wood was stuck inside. It does add a detail if you did it open like the guy demo'd it in the video, With contrasting woods like he did it is a nice touch, but I wouldn't go after that with a stronger joint in mind. Just for looks a regular splined miter joint is just as nice looking, again if contrasting woods are used.

I'm guessing there are all of these different joints, and techniques so we can make things to look like we like them, Ehhh? Or the never ending yarn of a whole lot of ways to skin that Cat.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
While watching that video I thought to myself when he was at at the TS : If he just turned the mitered stock around and lowered the blade to make the spine cut he would be done already.

Smirk
Smirk
Smirk
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Sure to make what I would call a "spline" joint he would have been done, but his was a really fat spline, and I think he just wanted to use that tape the corner closed thing to glue it all up. Plus I wonder if he doesn't always use CA glue, because using "Yellow glue" as he calls it you would then have to actually clamp it up while the glue dried. My experience is CA is ok to instant hold something while I banged in a brad or 2, but just by itself I don't trust it much, having had some failures, especially with any end grain.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW