Grizzly G0766 review
We bought this lathe in late Dec as the new lathe for my wife. Up to today all I’ve gotten to do is set it up.  Well, she was away all day at a class from Molly Winton, so…

Actually lets start with the lathe. This lathe is made by the Burt Group and wholesaled internationally. In the USA Grizzly is the primary importer.

I’ve been buying stationary power tools for over 25 years; in fact my first large tool was a Grizzly table saw in 1990.

The G0766 was the best packaged power tool I have ever bought, that includes, Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Teknatool, AMT, WoodTek and several others firms. The crate was made from 1/2inch (12mm) 7-layer plywood (void free) with reinforcement on the corners.

I cheated setting up the lathe as I have a ceiling mounted chain-fall that I could use to raise and support items as I set the lathe up. If you don’t have a similar system, you will need help, as this is not a one-man operation.  In fact I needed help unloading the lathe from my truck.

After I got the lathe setup, level and ready to turn I used the crate plywood to build a “sand box” that I mounted on the legs of this lathe. With an extra 200 lbs (100kg) of weight, this lathe is heavy.

After some careful measurements and figuring I decided I could modify the Lathe-Lift-and move Lathe Mobility system for the Jet 1642 for this lathe. All it took as some cutting on the base and shortening of the cross-tubes.

I also found a 220V @15amp surge arrester (intended for large window mounted A/C units) that this lathe is plugged into.

Now for actually using the lathe, first I loaded up an 8-inch blank of Big Leaf Maple and started it spinning. With my big bowl-gouge (3/4-inch/18mm) I was getting 1-inch (25mm) wide chips.

As one would expect, this lathe has lots of power. I purposely jammed a chisel in to get a hard catch, and even with the belt at tight as I could get it, the belt slipped enough that the catch was not dangerous.

Speed selection is easy; so far we have left the lathe in the “low” position. We also have not yet moved the headstock down the bed to turn off the tailstock “end”, but I know we will.
The tail stock action has been smooth and locks down well, as does the banjo.

Removing the tailstock for turning off the end is possible, but a special stop would have to be removed to do this.

Now Grizzly ‘rates” this lathe as 3HP, after looking at the specs and making a couple measurements, it’s more like 2HP (continuous commercial) then 3HP. But “slightly” over stating the power have been a common thing for years.

The supplied tool rest is well situated (height wise) for most spindle or bowl work with either gouges or skews.  However getting it at the proper height for scraper work and be, trying. For some scraper heights it’s total shaft length is a little short.

Getting a faceplate or chuck off the headstock and be difficult, the hand-wheel lacks a hole or other way to “lock” it while you attempt to take the faceplate or chuck off.
Caution must be urged for using the index pin for this operation.

Our lathe also has some inverter whine from the Delta inverter that I find, annoying.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
So it does not come with a knock out bar nor can you lock the spindle?

Also have you looked into getting Robust tool rests which have a longer shaft on them I believe.
When you jammed the tool into the bowl did you have it on the low or high end of the speed control?  I am thinking if it was the low end that would not be too good since you want a lot of torque there but do not know for sure.

Also it looks like the hand wheel looks to small to me but then I am pretty sure you can make something to put on there to make it bigger like some others I seen before.

Have you ever got to look at the 799 or 800?  They look the exact same as the Powermatic but thousands less.

Thanks for the review and I can not wait to see what she makes on it.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
As much as I love old iron, and currently have an older Delta 12" floor lathe, I am toying with the idea of getting something newer that will swing a larger blank and be smooth and have lots of power.  The grizzly lathes do seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck.    Looking online, it seems that people have had some issues with this particular model, but overall seem happy with it, especially for the price.  A new powermatic is about double.  It's being advertised right now at 1625 and with shipping is 1784.   Can anybody tell me when Griz normally runs a sale?  10 percent would about cover the shipping might push me over the ledge to order one.  TIA
(03-02-2017, 03:16 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: As much as I love old iron, and currently have an older Delta 12" floor lathe, I am toying with the idea of getting something newer that will swing a larger blank and be smooth and have lots of power.  The grizzly lathes do seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck.    Looking online, it seems that people have had some issues with this particular model, but overall seem happy with it, especially for the price.  A new powermatic is about double.  It's being advertised right now at 1625 and with shipping is 1784.   Can anybody tell me when Griz normally runs a sale?  10 percent would about cover the shipping might push me over the ledge to order one.  TIA

Sales are semi random and there is often a 10% coupon shipped with yearly catalogs. The 10% coupons tend to expire quickly

Grizzly actually raised the price on this lathe again 2 Jan (again). This lathe has been as low as ~1400
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Yes it comes with a knockout, but using that to take off a face-plate or chuck wouldn't work
Big Grin 

We looked that G0800, but decided it wasn't in the budget
(03-02-2017, 03:16 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: As much as I love old iron, and currently have an older Delta 12" floor lathe, I am toying with the idea of getting something newer that will swing a larger blank and be smooth and have lots of power.  The grizzly lathes do seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck.    Looking online, it seems that people have had some issues with this particular model, but overall seem happy with it, especially for the price.  A new powermatic is about double.  It's being advertised right now at 1625 and with shipping is 1784.   Can anybody tell me when Griz normally runs a sale?  10 percent would about cover the shipping might push me over the ledge to order one.  TIA

Evil

First it is so nice seeing you posting here again buddy.
Second check out Grizzly G0799 or G0800 which are the PM3520b and PM4224 at a huge reduction of $$$ and I like the headstock so much better which actually has a bullet shape and sticks out more for turnings close to the headstock.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(03-02-2017, 08:14 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Evil

First it is so nice seeing you posting here again buddy.
Second check out Grizzly G0799 or G0800 which are the PM3520b and PM4224 at a huge reduction of $$$ and I like the headstock so much better which actually has a bullet shape and sticks out more for turnings close to the headstock.

Geeze, nobody ever calls me Evil, Bob is fine...

I was having a little bit of heartburn at 1600 and you have me spending over 3g.  Those are nice lathes for sure,  but I don't need that much lathe for where my skills are right now.  

All of my shop is old iron and was bought for pennies on the dollar.  So by nature I'm a cheapskate, but I like well made machinery.  I'm also getting tight on space, but as long as I can swap out my current Delta for something a bit larger, then I can make it work.  It would be great to find something old that fits the bill, but most are similar to what I already have in terms of size and capability.  Even a PM 90 isn't much of an upgrade to what I can currently do.  I've seen some old Olivers, but they are running as much as this new griz would.  I'm in no rush, and I'm open to used machines if they can give me the capability to turn larger pieces.

Here is what I am currently running (wife wielding the tool):

[Image: a38tl9SPE7e_dwiuft1rWB1tc0JSypY7rnNgpvvK...26-h936-no]

[Image: YEj8Imz2xKkLAEY01xH2dVwyBciGn5_epx1F_t3v...04-h936-no]
I wish you seen the PM3520b here in S&S afew months ago for $1600 new and with chuck and tools.  My opinion is watch in S&S and Craigs list within 300 miles of you or whatever you think you will save in gas vs lathe.

O I forgot Jeananne in S&S whom I got my PM3520b from is having a sale of Jet Lathes right now and I think the Jet 1640 is on sale to.  They are the ones who gave me an extra $400 off of which it was the employees or Tools Plus who gave it to me

(03-02-2017, 11:18 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I wish you seen the PM3520b here in S&S afew months ago for $1600 new and with chuck and tools.  

Wow.  Missed that.