1/2 in hardwood
If you have a bandsaw for resawing what thickness rough lumber do you usually start with when you need 1/2" material? Do you use 4/4 and just plane it down or 5/4 and try to resaw to 1/2"?
I use 5/4 way less waste as in double the yield
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've always tried to find 5/4 for that.....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-28-2017, 07:55 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've always tried to find 5/4 for that.....

This ^^
5/4 or 8/4. 

John
Yeah, 5/4 or 6/4 for two or 8/4 for three.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
5/4 and 8/4. Resaw and clean it up. I'll use 4/4 to make ~~~1/4" to 3/8" for small boxes. If it's rough to start you can often sneak in 3/8" pieces, S4S and you are at 1/4"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-28-2017, 04:28 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Yeah, 5/4 or 6/4 for two or 8/4 for three.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If o need 1/2" I'll still resaw 4/4 down (although most my lumber is 5/4 anyway) rather than plane it away. I can always find something to do with the 1/4" or 3/8" piece that's left over. Even if it's just kindling.
-Marc

I resaw all the 1/2" material for my drawer sides and bottoms which ends up being quite a bit every year. I used to try to use 5/4 but I have a  hard time fining 5/4 around here flat enough to yield two clean 1/2" pieces. Most of the time I use 8/4 which will yield 3. 1/2" thick pieces fairly reliably.