1/2 in hardwood
Thanks for the responses. I have a couple projects in mind that are going to need some 1/2" material. Since I will do not have the wood needed for these projects on hand I thought that if I am getting new material I might as well get something that I can make into 1/2" efficiently.
If you can buy 1/2", do it. That could save you some warped re-sawn wood. If 1/2" isn't readily available, and you need a lot of it, then buy 5/4. When I only need a small amount I resaw whatever I have on hand.
Wood is good. 
(03-01-2017, 07:42 AM)Bope Wrote: Thanks for the responses. I have a couple projects in mind that are going to need some 1/2" material. Since I will do not have the wood needed for these projects on hand I thought that if I am getting new material I might as well get something that I can make into 1/2" efficiently.

It's been awhile since I did this, but it works. I glue two 4/4 boards up flat and then resaw with the table saw into thirds with a thin-kerf ripping blade. Plane all three to the same thickness. I use the TS because my band saw is lousy. Most of the time the result is stock that is very close to 1/2" and close enough for me. Of course, the center piece has two layers, but who cares? It's sometimes more stable than the other two. I usually make it a tad thicker before planing because both sides need to be planed.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.