Rack Em Up

Anyone for a cool game of billiards. Now the contests are over I would like to show off my 2017 Pen Box entry. This too happened to take first place. I had this idea in my head for over a year but was just not able to make it till I was able to return to my shop. I have to say I am sort of strutting my feathers on this one because it came out almost as nice as I envisioned it. I will say I had to make many jigs to pull this off because every detail needed a cut that is not normal. Doing all the compound angle cuts was challenging. Drilling the holes for the pockets needed a jig as well as cutting the rails and trim work. The rails and pockets are joined with mortise and tenon joints because end grain is not a very strong glue joint. I did have an oops when I tried flocking the table and rails. The paint/glue I used was too thick and the fibers did not stick well. I had another can of the stuff so I was able to sand back the old and add the new and it came out well. Was able to get it done in time too. Thanks for looking and any questions or comments are always welcomed. Hopefully I can get the pen I have designed for the box done, very soon. 

I placed one of my regulation sized pool ball clocks in the photo to give a size reference. Been told it looks like a full size table. 

My replica pool table box is made from Birdseye Maple and Gabon Ebony. It's measurements are 4-1/2" X 9" which is a scaled down version of a professional table. It was dipped in BLO and then top coated with 6 coats of satin lacquer. The table top has green flocking on the table as well as the bumpers. 
The cues were turned from maple blanks and are also satin lacquered. The butt grips are wrapped with carbon fiber. The billiard balls are miniature replicas. The rail sites are round black Swarovski crystals.
All the materials used were cut and angled using various jigs. The table is an easy lift off to access the pen box compartment which has a green plush felt cushion for any size pen. The lid has guide blocks to properly seat it easily on the box.
This is a neat little box which will enhance that special pen for that special billiard fan.
John T.

Just to add a few more photos because seems my limit was up.
John T.
Some high end doll house maker wants you to be their interior designer.
Big Grin

How much time do you have in that?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
That's just too cool!
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Beautiful!!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I can understand why it took first place,that is absolutely beautiful and as someone else said,it looks like a real pool table.Congratulations on the win,you ,sir,are very talented and should be proud of yourself.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(03-02-2017, 01:38 AM)Steve N Wrote: Some high end doll house maker wants you to be their interior designer.  
Big Grin  

How much time do you have in that?

I never really keep track of items I make, timewise. I worked on this on and off for 3 weeks to get ready for the contest. I was also working on 2 other projects for other contests at the same time. This one was the most involved. What I amazed myself with was as each phase came up I knew how to accomplish it. It was like someone was feeding me the answers in my head. Many instances I was shooting from the hip. But a couple minutes of thought and I was doing what I needed to do with ease. Can not explain it but I am sure you people have had this happen to you also.  Usually I struggle to figure things out and have to walk away for awhile but there was none of that working on this. I was in the zone. Everything fell in place. 

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am glad you like it. 

You know I just reread the quote here about the doll furniture maker. My Dad, rest his soul, at one time made a doll house for my sister when they were very small and he made all the furniture in it. We did not have a lot of money. He was talented and he is the one who I picked up the woodworking gene from. So just maybe it was he who was guiding me and talking to me in my head. WOW. Never thought of it. Thanks Dad.
John T.
Awesome!  Congrats on your first place award.  Well-deserved!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Like Fred said  That is so cool and neat.  Well done and think it would be nice for a good pen to go with it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That is just extraordinary, John.  Very creative.  Did you use your scroll saw for any of that?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?