Which glue to use for edge glue up?
(03-02-2017, 01:03 PM)AHill Wrote: Open Time:

Titebond Original:  4-6 min
Titebond II:  3-5 min
Titebond III: 10 min
Titebond Extend: 15 min 

Titebond III has the additional advantage of being waterproof.

Left one out (I like hide glue if it isn't obvious)

TB-LHG has an open assembly time (the number you list above) given as 10 minutes.  This is with the glue at room temp, heat it slightly and the time extends well beyond 15 minutes.  Just heating the bottle by keeping it in my back pocket I can get 15 minutes open time.

Assembly time (time during which you can fiddle with alignment) is in 20-30 min for room temp glue, and in excess of 45 if you heat the glue beforehand.

The statement "sensitivity to moisture" on their web page is a bit misleading.  It doesn't simply fall apart if damp or casual contact with water.  It takes both heat AND moisture and quite a lot of each to pop a joint open.  Interior furniture applications, plenty strong, plenty resistant.

Addition of alum to (genuine) hide glue makes it water resistant.  Never tried, just a tid-bit I have stored away in my files.  Not sure it would even work well with TB-LHG as it may have stuff other than urea added to extend open time.

Interesting read on a quick-and-dirty one-time test of hide glue vs. the great outdoors
https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2013/...imal-glue/

Not the least expensive however.  Priced on a par with TB-III.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Your question asked "Which glue to use for edge glue up" Is this edges of solid wood pieces to make a panel? Or is it end grain?

For edges to make a panel either Hide, TB, or even Elmers wood glue have all worked fine for me. End grain I find TB, and Elmer's the best, and I thin the glue 1/2 with water, and allow the end grain to wick up the mix. Once that is done I go straight at it with the full strength PVA glue. I don't care much for hide on end grain, though I realize some don't make a distinction. Outdoors I use more Gorilla glue, than TBIII because it creeps so much.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Well for edge glue up you don't need a large amount of open time. But I've use the Lee Valley woodworkers glue which has a 15 to 20 minute open time. I like the color too. Sometimes I get these glue ups with lots of dominoes and I need every minute I can get.
None better than WEST epoxy. Titebond I use in some of my model building and shop fixtures/jigs.
Wood is good.