spray can lacquer recommendation
Can you recommend a spray can lacquer for a keepsake box I'm making.
I'm not much help with the lacquer recommendation, but whatever brand of rattle can you get, accessorize it with one of these.

[Image: 51oU%2BUb%2BHAL._SY355_.jpg]

I'm not necessarily endorsing this particular brand.  There are lots of options out there, but they help you control the spray and reduce hand fatigue, if you are doing a lot of spraying.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Behlen makes rattle can lacquer as does Mohawk.
I'm guessing you want nitrocellulose lacquer. A brief look at the cleanup instructions will make it clear if you've got the right stuff.
Truthfully, I doubt there's much difference among them, at least the larger name brands. I've used maybe 4-5 brands over the last few years and can't see much difference between them. But you do need to read the label and make sure it's NC lacquer, god knows what the manufacturer's are labeling as "lacquer" that isn't. Deft lacquer is probably one you wouldn't have to worry about, as is Watco.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-03-2017, 07:55 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I'm not much help with the lacquer recommendation, but whatever brand of rattle can you get, accessorize it with one of these.

[Image: 51oU%2BUb%2BHAL._SY355_.jpg]

I'm not necessarily endorsing this particular brand.  There are lots of options out there, but they help you control the spray and reduce hand fatigue, if you are doing a lot of spraying.

+1.  Don't succumb to the horrors of spray-finger-cramp!  These gizmos are terrific.

I haven't used much lacquer but so far, the Deft brand in the rattle can has been OK for all the small stuff I've done with it.  But just get the gloss.  If you need satin, rub it back with 0000 and a spot of wax.

Maybe the Mohawk and Watco brand spray do this too, but the Deft can nozzle sprays in a vertical fan instead of a cone which is nice and makes things go more quickly and evenly.

Anybody else turn the can upside down when done and spray for a second so that all you get is propellant?  Supposed to keep the nozzle clean, usually works for me.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-03-2017, 10:37 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Anybody else turn the can upside down when done and spray for a second so that all you get is propellant?  Supposed to keep the nozzle clean, usually works for me.

Yes

I have an old cardboard box, next to my RAS, that I use to collect wood scraps.  I've been using one side of it for a "target" when I clear spray can nozzles.  Probably have gunk over a 1/4" thick in spots. 
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Deft is good and available at Ace stores around here. Minwax - in a black can - is also very good and the borgs carry it but it usually costs a few dollars more than Deft. I find that both tend to haze less than the Mohawk I've used, although the Mohawk (finishers choice) builds faster. If you plan on a few coats, Deft would probably be my choice. If you want to build up several coats and rub it out to a gloss finish, try Minwax. Somebody also mentioned Watco - good stuff as well but make sure to turn those upside down to clear the nozzle - they seem more prone to clogs. And whatever brand you use, follow the directions about shaking the can. Most suggest shaking for a minute. That feels like forever but its worth it.
Another vote for Deft - use it fairly frequently with consistent, good results.
Anybody else remove the nozzle and drop it into a container of the appropriate solvent--- DNA for shellac and lacquer thinner for lacquer? Seems to conserve the compressed air in the can and eliminates throwing away unused finish.
Hi, Budglo. I've used many cans of minwax and deft with the fan spray caps and they never clog. The only brand that did clog for me was watco so if using that one, removing and soaking the cap could be a good idea. At least be sure to do the upside down thing with it.