Best/preferred finish nailer?
Looking for a good finish nailer (not brad) 15 guage, 1 1/4-2 1/2. Cabinet, case work.  I realize there are preferred ones, however would like to hear some of those. 
Thanks much
I have a reconditioned Hitachi 15 GA that I am very happy with.  All of my other ones are older Porter Cable.  I don't think I would buy newer Porter Cable.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
agree of porter cable - dissatisfied with one right now. Have a senco, however this one is for framing. Bit too big for cabinet, case work, moulding  thanks
I have had great luck with the Cincinnati local Senco nailers. Important note. If the name Senco is casted into the body of the nailer it is USA made Cincinnati Ohio. If it is a stick on decal it's Chinese made. The US models work like they are supposed to, I don't mess with the Chinese ones. With my Senco nailers I can shoot their nails, all the way through HF nails without jams or hangups, so if I can find 15 ga, in a length I need, 18 ga same way, so I can find something to shoot from them on the first stop.

For a pinner now that I have finally broken down and spent the $$$$$$ for a Grex. without a doubt they are awesome. Spend a bit more and get one shooting at least 2" pins. On 3/4" stock those 1 1/4" things barely hold till the glue dries.

Actually on any size nailer, or pinnner it pays to always spend a few more $$$ if need be to get the maximum length made for the diameter you are using. You can shoot shorter nails from a big gun, but not the other way around. There are times when length is the only answer that makes sense, especially for crown, and heavier trim work.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I would think more about a 18 gage brad nailer for cabinets.  That's what I use and have no issues.  Like Steve,  I'm very happy with my Senco though I can't say where it was made.  I think of 15 gage nailers more for trim work than cabinets.  It leaves a pretty big hole and offers no advantage to me until I need something more than 2" long when installing interior trim work. 

John
Highly recommend the Senco 18-ga.
Wood is good. 
(03-03-2017, 01:53 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I would think more about a 18 gage brad nailer for cabinets.  That's what I use and have no issues.  Like Steve,  I'm very happy with my Senco though I can't say where it was made.  I think of 15 gage nailers more for trim work than cabinets.  It leaves a pretty big hole and offers no advantage to me until I need something more than 2" long when installing interior trim work. 

John

I agree with you on sizing John, but from what I could see when I worked trades we aren't in the majority, a lotta 15's out there. I think instead of doing 15, 18, 21, and 23 gauge that a lot of guys try to use 1 or 2 sizes to do it all. Going back to the old thought you can make a big tool do smaller work, but not the other way around, we're outnumbered
Uhoh
Uhoh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(03-03-2017, 12:33 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: I have a reconditioned Hitachi 15 GA that I am very happy with.  All of my other ones are older Porter Cable.  I don't think I would buy newer Porter Cable.

its sad to read PC is going downhill. I have a finish and brad nailer and a stapler 14 years old and all 3 have thousands of nails/staples through them.
then theres my PC circ saw- 15 years old, over 20 houses framed using it, plus uncounted decks, sheds, and other structures and only thing ive had to fix was the power cord.
Steve, I think most trim carpenters use a 15 gage nailer, and I probably would, too, if I could only have one gun.  But the OP asked about cabinet work, too, and I would not use a 15 gage nailer for that.  Will it work, yeah, after a fashion, but it leaves a honking big hole.  At least the cabinets I build use glue as the primary fastening method.  Any nails I use are a substitute for clamps so I can move on more quickly.  18 gage is all that's needed for clamping.  With thinner parts, I use my 23 gage pin nailer which leaves an almost invisible hole.  

JOhn
(03-03-2017, 05:21 PM)tomsteve Wrote: its sad to read PC is going downhill. I have a finish and brad nailer and a stapler 14 years old and all 3 have thousands of nails/staples through them.
then theres my PC circ saw- 15 years old, over 20 houses framed using it, plus uncounted decks, sheds, and other structures and only thing ive had to fix was the power cord.

When PC was bought by B&D they immediately dropped all of the good tools and the ones that were kept were cheapened. Course the pc framing nailer was never any good. 

For an 18ga look at the bostitch. Good tip visibility due to to a smaller tip overall and no need to push the lever down to shoot a nail. It may be my next 18ga nailer. 

As for size the 15 ga is nice for trim because it's angled. It fits into corners and is much nicer for nailing crown moulding. It also puts in those long nails and will drive those long nails through the hard as as rock MDF rosetts.

When I use an 18ga for trim I use a 2" brad as anything less is too short and even a 2" can be too short. The trim and drywall are 1" minimum then you have to hit the wood which may not be touching the drywall...