Best/preferred finish nailer?
LIL - I also have a 15ga Hitachi angle nailer that has performed well. Use it for "heavier duty" trim work when more heft is needed. Have used it for exterior work on my home. Picked it up at Home Depot a few years ago and it has never failed.

I like many others here, have the older Porter Cable trim and brad nailers for interior work - 16 and 18 gauge. Also have the PC 23ga pin nailer. Were I in the market today I'd probably take a hard look at Senco along with Hitachi. I'm with John on this one, the less nails the better.

FWIW most 16ga trim nailers will shoot nails up to 2 1/2", one of your named parameters. If I could only have one I'd probably go for this size.

Doug
thanks much to all for info. Looks like I shall be switching to 18 ga and a good senco with raised letters.   Thanks again.
John I think  the biggest difference is you and I both like wood, we would use wood trim, wooden cases doors, and drawers for a kitchen, there we are trying to maximize hold, keep a flawless line for finish, and because of that an 18 would be best for casework. However America has gone to mostly MDF trim, cabinet doors, and drawer fronts, and if there is a "BIG HONKIN HOLE" they just grab that Bondo (a modern day finish guys friend) and patch that puppy cause it all gets white paint anyhow.

Here in the midwest they call them "Homearama" It's the collective of all the "hot" builders homes in the newest up and coming neighborhood. I imagine they have similar over on the East side. If you see one, just for giggles do a walk through to see what a million five get's you in a shack today. It's rare when you see an honest to goodness wood home anymore. BLAM BLAM BLAM the 15's pop the MDF, each strike has a small pop off. Bondo guy is right behind trim guy filling them in.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've only had one so I can't be a source of comparisons, but I have the Ridgid 15 gauge 34 degree nailer and it has performed just fine.
I use for more than it is designed for.
(03-04-2017, 12:28 PM)Steve N Wrote: John I think  the biggest difference is you and I both like wood, we would use wood trim, wooden cases doors, and drawers for a kitchen, there we are trying to maximize hold, keep a flawless line for finish, and because of that an 18 would be best for casework. However America has gone to mostly MDF trim, cabinet doors, and drawer fronts, and if there is a "BIG HONKIN HOLE" they just grab that Bondo (a modern day finish guys friend) and patch that puppy cause it all gets white paint anyhow.

Here in the midwest they call them "Homearama" It's the collective of all the "hot" builders homes in the newest up and coming neighborhood. I imagine they have similar over on the East side. If you see one, just for giggles do a walk through to see what a million five get's you in a shack today. It's rare when you see an honest to goodness wood home anymore. BLAM BLAM BLAM the 15's pop the MDF, each strike has a small pop off. Bondo guy is right behind trim guy filling them in.

Yeah bondo is Isa pretty good filler compared to the regular stuff. 

As for real wood trim... Well I like wood but for trim in a house uh no. It makes the house darker and less inviting and isn't repairable when damaged. Wood for the furniture but painted trim in the house. And I'll take mdf over finger jointed pine for crown as its easier to install and much easier to cope mdf.