A 1 Week Project
Nice work! What sorts of machines are they putting on them?

@RandyC - a loose tenon is really just two mortises with a separate piece fitting inside as the tenon. A dowel, "Domino" (by Festool), or just a piece of stock milled to the thickness and length to match the mortise.  They are glued in place as any M&T.

[Image: loose_tenon_and_mortise_joint.gif]
Looks good!

Interesting how abrasive the wood/plywood is to a carbide cutter, reducing the diameter enough to make the box joints so tight.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-06-2017, 08:23 AM)Randy C Wrote: John

Can you explain what loose tenons are? I saw a product in rockler catalog called "beadlock", is this what you are referring to? If not, is it some type of tenon you make? When you say loose, does this mean you don't glue the joint? Ho do you cut the mortise?

Thanks

Yes, Beadlock is one form of loose tenons, but that's not what I use; too slow for my taste.  I make loose tenon joints with a horizontal router mortiser I developed about 6 years ago.  Here's a link to some info. about it and photos and video of how it works.  There's also a SketchUp model at the bottom of the page that you can download should you wish to build your own.  If you'd rather not build one, send me a PM. 

Link

John
(03-06-2017, 03:03 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: For a high strength functional cabinet in the workplace, I must say they look better than most furniture I see in the stores.  I think I'm going to give the white Enduro poly a try on some laundry room cabinets I'll be building shortly.  Very nice work John.

Hi Damon,

I think you'll like everything about Enduro White Poly except the price.  Not cheap, but it goes a long ways.  I've sprayed 3 or those lab cabinets, a large vanity, and a smaller one, and still have about a quart left in the gallon I bought.  I bought another gallon before I built these two lab cabinets but never needed it.  Now I need to find a few more white cabinet jobs to use the stuff. 

It has a viscosity of about 100 seconds #4 Ford cup, so it's not something you can spray through a gravity feed gun.  But it sprays beautifully through my Qualspray gun with a 1.3 mm N/N and 5 psi pressure on the 3M PPS cup.  I know you have a selection of spray equipment so you'll have no trouble finding the right set up. 

It will sag if you get it on too heavy, but if you stop just short of what you think is enough it flows out beautifully without sagging.  Only comes in satin.  

John
Mound, the lab cabinets support a MTS Universal Test Machine, like these.  The actual machine that sits on these cabinets only weighs 400 - 500 lbs, but I designed them to easily handle 2000 lbs, just in case.  Universal Test Machines can be configured to test pretty much anything that you would want to crush, bend, pull, break, cycle, or otherwise test to measure some physical property.  We used them to test the physical and thermo-physical performance of the products we made for automotive applications, and they are still doing that and to an even degree since I left.  Some of these tests take days to complete, so if your test needs are great you need multiple machines.  Machines like we would set on these cabinets might cost around $100K after we put all the test fixtures on one.  We had 5 or 6 when I left; there are several more now.  Some of the larger or high cycle machines cost nearly $250 each.  We had a few of those, too.  It added up in a hurry, but data is what drives decisions in technical fields so if you are in you really need to be all in.  

John
Thanks Mound and John for the reply. 

John - I went to the link and viewed the video of the horizontal router table you developed. I don't do enough woodworking to justify having such a set-up but was impressed with your table.

I also looked at the pictures in your gallery. All very nice. I think you have this woodworking thing down.
John, I started with the bare box you rented, except it has power mirrors.  There are no other trim levels for the rear--it is only marketed as a cargo van.

On our PM forum, we hear the complaints about driving position regularly.  What you wouldn't notice in a rental, though, is that the seat is hugely adjustable.  Once it is dialed in, the complaints disappear.  In fact, expediters around 5'11" - 6'1" who drive long hours are some of the biggest fans.  For us, it is more comfortable than our Toyotas.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson