new to woodturning...maybe
I am thinking about getting into turning.  Last time I used a lath was around 1963 in shop class junior high.  I am thinking a max cost of $1500 there abouts.  I have no idea what brand and what to look for.  I do wood working.  I am in the process of a walnut table for the wife’s kitchen now.
Thanks for your time,
Pete
Seems within price limit, including some tools to use.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/nova-1624-ii-lathe

Been using the ancient non-communist model for >15 years, and thousands of pieces.

I would build a cabinet or shelf type stand. The other just creates useless space.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Welcome to the vortex!

The Nova 1624-44 that MM posted is a good choice. It goes on sale a couple of times a year at Woodcraft.

You can go pretty cheap on the basic starter set of tools at either Harbor Freight or Benjamin's Best.  Once you learn to sharpen, then you can replace key tools with higher end ones if desired. 

You'll need a sharpening system.  Most use a slow-speed grinder, ideally with 8 inch wheels.  Also you'll need a faceshield in addition to proper safety glasses.

Chucks can come later.  There's lots of toys and gizmos, but I tend to keep it simple.
I bought my wife a Jet 1221 VS for Christmas (I know, what a great guy).  Probably depends on how large you plan to turn? The Jet has a 12" swing, variable speed dial with reverse, and a nice rpm range 60-3600.  Everyone I spoke to said they are pretty tough lathes.  So far, we've happy with it.

Lonnie
Hi Pete

Welcome to the turning world.  What do you intend to turn primarily?  I think that is the biggest thing on what kind of lathe you will want.  However, saying that once you get going and see all the things you can make a lot of guys go bigger.

I think an all around swing to turn almost everything is 16" unless you are like me and then having a headstock that can be moved up and down the ways makes turning the inside of things so much easier on the neck and back.  The guys here helped me get the PM3520b and I have the headstock half the time at the end of the ways so it is easy to turn and see the inside of boxes, bowls and other things to hollow out.

I am looking forward to you being here a long and sharing with us what you make.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Think about the type of turning you want to do and pick your lathe accordingly. 
Spindles like table legs require a long bed.  Bowls require a tall headstock.  If all you plan to turn are bottle stoppers and pens you can use something smaller.
Don't ignore the used market.  Good deals do come up.

Set some of your money aside for a decent grinder and sharpening jig like a Wolverine or similar.  Sharp tools are a must for good results and repeatability is important. 

Join a local woodturning club.  A good club will greatly lessen the learning curve.  Ours actually has a workshop at a member's house where you can work on projects with instruction. There may be members selling off equipment too.

That or you can run away now before you're hooked.  Turning is the closest thing there is to instant gratification in the wood working world.
Rodney
I picked up an old Atlas 12" x 36 that was in a shop class I think.
Got a couple tools with it.
I bought a chuck and I'm going to learn to turn and see how it goes.
The lathe was $100.00 and it works just fine.
If I don't take to turning I can easy get my money back or likely just keep it for making the odd knob or handle for flat projects
For The Love Of Wood
(03-06-2017, 11:59 AM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: Set some of your money aside for a decent grinder and sharpening jig like a Wolverine or similar.  Sharp tools are a must for good results and repeatability is important. 

Assuming you are able to hold the tool to the work with the same precision.  I am not.  I find the way the wood wishes to be cut and proceed.  As Roy says, the tool is its own jig.  Hold soft, after all, you want to maintain as light a touch as possible when sharpening to prevent heat as well.
I don't think I was clear enough.  The repeatable part would be for the sharpening in getting and maintaining a good edge. 
I'm terrible at free hand sharpening.  That's why I recommend some sort of jig.  It takes the guess work out.
Rodney
(03-07-2017, 09:20 AM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: I don't think I was clear enough.  The repeatable part would be for the sharpening in getting and maintaining a good edge. 
I'm terrible at free hand sharpening.  That's why I recommend some sort of jig.  It takes the guess work out.
Rodney

No, absolutely clear with the standard answer.  Woodturners are not machinists  The tool is swung, fed and adjusted to accommodate the anistropic nature of the wood and the shape of the outcome.  When the wood is being cut properly, it tells the turner.   No sense making the same thing over if it will change in use.  Spend time using what you have and learning how the wood wishes to be cut.