new to woodturning...maybe
I used to say that what ever you spend on the lathe, you will spend that much on 'accessories'. Well, I am pretty sure that is on the low end... 

For sharpening, I use a platform, and not jigs. Some people just can't sharpen free hand. You do use the exact same skills when sharpening that you do when you turn. Sweep, roll, and sweep and roll together. Like Yogi Berra said, "It is 90% mental, and 10% in your head." I do think jigs provide better results for beginners because they haven't developed the hand and body movement skills. There is the school of thought that if you learn both together, they compliment each other.

robo hippy
For me I can not do without my wolverine or Robos platform which I really like for scrappers or skews but for the wolverine I can get the exact some sharpening time after time and I am quite sure no one can do it by hand time after time without some variance.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I sharpen by hand on a stone. If I can get shavings, a smooth cut with no tear out, and a shape somewhere near what I want, I'm happy. I check for sharpness often.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.