Nice to have nice tools.
I'm in the backyard and I hear a skilsaw turning and turning and laboring.  It goes on for some time and I'm wondering what could take so long to cut.
I go back to the neighbors and ask him what he's doing.  He's building a bookcase.  Simple thing with cleats for the shelves and nailed together.  No frame.  He's splitting closet pole to put on the front for trim.

He's using a home made TS made from an old direct drive skilsaw mounted upside down on a 3 x 3 piece of ply mounted on a 2 x 4 table.  The fence is a piece of hardwood he unscrews and resets where he wants.  He's splitting 1" round closet pole and using a dull dull blade cause its taking him forever to cut.  I offer to let him come over and use my Jet cabinet saw and he declines.  He's showing this contraption off and is proud of it.  I'm not going to say anything but offer him a nice carbide blade for it as I have several (I toss them when the paint wears off).  He says he started using a handsaw but it wasn't giving him a clean cut.  The handsaw is a Chinese ninety-nine cent cheapie about 15" long and its rusty and no doubt never been sharpened.  Again I offer to let him come over and make his cuts, glue, clamp, etc.  He says he might take me up on the belt sander to sand the rough edges on the split doweling.

Makes a person grateful to be able to afford the nice tools, but hey, he was having fun with what he had and was proud of what he'd built.  If it were me, and I'm sure this applies to all of you, the first hiccup in the project and I'd be out buying just the right tool for the job.  I left my invitation open but I doubt he'll take me up on it.  Count your blessings.
I am with you,  I hardly ever start a project without buying a new tool or two.  Seriously though,  having the right tool makes all the difference in the world.  You could mow your lawn with a pair of scissors, but it will take a whole lot longer, and won't come out as nice as it will with a lawnmower.
Life is short....buy good tools.

If he was smart enough he would have taken you up on the saw blade.  Methinks you need to do some training for the poor misguided guy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yeah, he sounds like the guy who gets injured too.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Maybe the guy is using what he can afford. When I first started out I used very basic equipment. Sometimes pride takes over and you want to use your own tools at your own place. I am now thankful for the shop I have acquired over the years, but do remeber the early days.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

wheni have a hiccup in a project, I don't go running out for a new tool. I think,"how can I accomplish this with what I have? craftsmen a hundred plus years ago did this without the tools I have, so if I cant accomplish this, then I don't have much craftsmanship in me."
ive been workin on a scrollsaw fretwork dome clock. I needed some 1/4' thick,7" wide stock. I don't have a bandsaw to resaw. but ripping a 3/4" thick, 7" wide by 6' long piece of oak on the table saw as deep as I could, then using a sawzall to finish what I couldn't cut, I accomplished what I wanted.
(03-06-2017, 10:16 AM)paarker Wrote: Maybe the guy is using what he can afford. When I first started out I used very basic equipment. Sometimes pride takes over and you want to use your own tools at your own place. I am now thankful for the shop I have acquired over the years, but do remeber the early days.

+1  That was me 40 years ago.

John
My first table saw was the same thing.

I never got hurt but its a good way to loose a thumb.

Last time I checked, innovation required intelligence.
Doing it on his own with tools he has sounds fine to me, except for the dull tools.  He should learn to sharpen.