Just looked at a Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Lathe
(03-07-2017, 03:19 PM)NC Jim Wrote: PS-  Other lathe considerations for me were the Grizzly G0766 and the Laguna Revo

Welcome to Woodnet Jim!

Anything you're willing to share about your rationale for choosing the Nova Galaxi over the Grizz G0766 and Laguna Revo (18/36 I assume)?
"I don't have an answer to your question....but I can answer a question that you may be asking in the future"
(03-07-2017, 07:12 PM)SteveK Wrote: Welcome to Woodnet Jim!

Anything you're willing to share about your rationale for choosing the Nova Galaxi over the Grizz G0766 and Laguna Revo (18/36 I assume)?

Hi Steve,

Well...  I'm turning some farm table legs right now that are 39", so I would have needed an extension for the Revo which was more $$.  The Galaxi requires no belt changes or belt replacements, ever.  I have a garage full of Grizzly equipment, including a $2K+ bandsaw, so I am not opposed to Grizzly.  I felt the Galaxi has a more "advanced" motor system and liked the length and didn't need a big bowl lathe and the price was sort of between the Grizzly and Laguna.  Some combination of those reasons.

The "rap" on Nova lathes in the past was they had some neat technology but were on the lightweight side, not very robust.  I believe Teknatool heard this and the Galaxi was their response.

Jim
(03-07-2017, 07:36 PM)NC Jim Wrote: The "rap" on Nova lathes in the past was they had some neat technology but were on the lightweight side, not very robust.  I believe Teknatool heard this and the Galaxi was their response.

The weight issue was the legs, not the headstock, ways, and tailstock.  I don't see anything new or different on the Galaxi vs. the Nova DVR that makes me think those are much heavier.  There's always been an option to buy the cast iron legs.  Now they just come with the lathe, which is  good thing.  I turn 12" stuff all the time on my Nova DVR with the steel legs and I don't seem to have an issue with weight.  If you're turning unbalanced green wood, then it does make a difference.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-07-2017, 07:36 PM)NC Jim Wrote: Hi Steve,

Well...  I'm turning some farm table legs right now that are 39", so I would have needed an extension for the Revo which was more $$.  The Galaxi requires no belt changes or belt replacements, ever.  I have a garage full of Grizzly equipment, including a $2K+ bandsaw, so I am not opposed to Grizzly.  I felt the Galaxi has a more "advanced" motor system and liked the length and didn't need a big bowl lathe and the price was sort of between the Grizzly and Laguna.  Some combination of those reasons.

The "rap" on Nova lathes in the past was they had some neat technology but were on the lightweight side, not very robust.  I believe Teknatool heard this and the Galaxi was their response.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Appreciate your candor.
Yes
"I don't have an answer to your question....but I can answer a question that you may be asking in the future"
LIL

Just to emphasize what others have already said:

On any lathe with reverse or (even more significantly) electronic braking, it is very important to use the grub screws in the chuck every time you put a chuck on the lathe. There should be a grub screw (set screw) to lock in any spindle adapter for the chuck. You will want to double check that it/those are still tight every once in a while. There will be another one to hold the chuck to the spindle. That is the one that stops the the chuck and bowl from unscrewing and chasing you around the shop.
Winkgrin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
LIL
My DVR does everything I need but I'm not crazy about the speed control. I'm glad to see they have added a speed pot.
(03-07-2017, 10:24 PM)AHill Wrote: The weight issue was the legs, not the headstock, ways, and tailstock.  I don't see anything new or different on the Galaxi vs. the Nova DVR that makes me think those are much heavier.  There's always been an option to buy the cast iron legs.  Now they just come with the lathe, which is  good thing.  I turn 12" stuff all the time on my Nova DVR with the steel legs and I don't seem to have an issue with weight.  If you're turning unbalanced green wood, then it does make a difference.

Hi Allan,

Not sure which edition of a DVR you have but the bed on the Galaxi is significantly larger and beefier than previous Nova lathes.  You can look at pictures and see the additional width on the bed outside of the bed gap on the Galaxi compared to other Novas in the past which were narrower.  Maybe yours has the larger bed as well?

Jim
So I called Woodcraft and told them to put my name on one of the Galaxi lathes and will pick it up on Saturday.  
Yes
Big Grin
Cool
(03-08-2017, 06:02 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: So I called Woodcraft and told them to put my name on one of the Galaxi lathes and will pick it up on Saturday.  
Yes
Big Grin
Cool

Happy new Lathe!
Smile
Ag
(03-08-2017, 06:02 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: So I called Woodcraft and told them to put my name on one of the Galaxi lathes and will pick it up on Saturday.  
Yes
Big Grin
Cool

Cool
Cool Cool beans! 
Cool
Cool 
Bring some help - you will need it!