Wet grinder rotation direction????
LOML picked up an old wet grinder at an estate sale.  

I hooked up a motor so that it rotates toward the holder.

Tried to sharpen a chisel and a sheet of water ran across the chisel and onto the floor.

It's the type that has some water in the bottom of the holder, no flowing water.

Speed is about 75 rpm, 10" wheel.

[Image: grinder%202.jpg][Image: grinder%201.jpg]

Hose is drain, overflow holes on other side about an inch from the bottom.

HELP!!!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
When I had one years ago, I simply placed it in a big plastic storage bin bottom to catch most of the water.

Keeping the water level lower helped to reduce the massive overflow. All it needs is enough to keep the tool from getting too hot and flush some of the particles away.

45-60 rpm with a 10" wheel might be better.
The wheel rotates away from you.
(03-06-2017, 04:23 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: The wheel rotates away from you.

Had it mounted that way yesterday, didn't try it.

That's what I get for overthinking things
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I think Tormek's turn towards you? Don't own one, but saw one being used some years back.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-06-2017, 05:08 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I think Tormek's turn towards you? Don't own one, but saw one being used some years back.

I can't remember either. But on the grinder types there is less chatter and dig in with it spinning away from you. Also those don't have the fancy jigs the tormek has.
I have a 10" wet wheel grinder. The wheel turns towards me like all grinding wheels I personally have seen. I sometimes get water that slides over a tool but not enough to bother me.
I went out to the shop a few minutes ago to see if the wheel turning away from me was feasible. I ground a 1" chisel standing on the opposite side of the wheel with a  chair rung for a make shift rest. The chisel developed a burr instead of a smooth grind. Lousy for chisels and the like but might be a fast way to hone a card scraper. I'll try that tomorrow.
mike
I have a Jet. It has arms on both sides. Works great The side I use depends on what I am sharpening. Try both and see what works best for you depending on the tool being sharpened.
You learned why.  Water is driven at you rather than away depending on direction.  When rotating away, the effect on the edge is similar to lapping, and the wheel need not be perfectly round.  Both good things, in addition to a dry hold.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-07-2017, 02:55 PM)Turner52 Wrote:  ........The side I use depends on what I am sharpening. 

Same here when using my Tormek.  It's more aggressive with the wheel coming at the work and seems to remove metal a bit faster in that direction. 

Mike