A vase finishing question
I'm getting ready to turn a vase with segmented rings and need to use red oak with golden oak stain to match the room it will sit in. If I make a door, I generally fill the deep grain pores with brush-on grain filler then sand off as much as I can before coating with stain and poly.

I'm going to try friction polish (shellac and BLO) on this piece so I'm wondering about what to do about the grain. Should I fill the grain or not?

SM
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I've been using shellwax from Penn State. Put the paste on first then the friction polish. You can finish a bowl in 20 minutes. Looks very nice.
Don
One thing about Shellawax is there is not rv protection and I find it wears off quickly or within a few years and does not look nice.

I would say either poly or lacquer or what others use for long lasting protection.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.