Log Splitter Squires Hydraulic Fluid
I was hoping someone here might be able to help. I went to Lowes, Northern Tool and Tractor Supply today and got nowhere. I have this 20 yr old splitter and was using it today. It was fine...then I moved it closer to the logs and started it back up.  It was on level ground. As I was using it I noticed it was squirting red hydro fluid out it's filler nut. Any clue why this could start? Is there anything I am not telling you to help give advice? 

Please help

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
It's not level and you have positive pressure pushing out fluid due to bad seals.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Bad seals where?
Don't know. It's 20 years old and otherwise works. Just get that part of the tank a tad higher and see if it quits

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Well iI'll try that tomorrow. Thanks
And to answer the question of "what seal"... All of them.

The fluid will also increase volume a little with temperature.  Make sure it's not overfilled.  And put that fill a little higher, as already suggested.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-07-2017, 07:00 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Make sure it's not overfilled. 

That was going to be my suggestion. And did OP add fluid before using it?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

hope ya can figure it out.
I found really quick those 3 stores are prolly the last places to go to find out repair info.
small engine repair places are usually a better chance for parts and service.
I have one near me that the owner/mechanic just blows me away with his information and willingness to help diagnose problems.
 and always willing to  point out where an aftermarket part may be better than OEM and even info to make reassembly or repairs easier.
Ever watch King of the Hill? Your comment reminds me of the Megalomart  store that ran everybody out of business. Funny I told my wife the same thing then I read your comment.

Gonna try today to move it where it was when it didn't have a problem.