Sportsman themed pens
Water slide decals are the same type of decals used in car /airplane models. There are several kinds of decals paper you can get. I have been using Testors decal paper I pick up at Hobby Lobby. Find an image you like and resize it to what you need. You can use most any program for that. I have been using a spreadsheet program but Photoshop or word processing programs I believe will work too. When you have everything laid out for printing, just print it using an ink jet printer.
After leaving it dry for a while I seal the ink with rattle can lacquer spray. Give it a couple light coats and let cure.
I think I have a link on my computer for a tutorial on decals. I'll look for it this evening.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Always wanted one of those bolt actions pens! Alas I'm no turner. Great job on these though, they look awesome!
~ Chris
(03-08-2017, 03:20 PM)cwarner Wrote: Always wanted one of those bolt actions pens!   Alas I'm no turner.  Great job on these though, they look awesome!

Now is your chance to either learn to turn or purchase one of those magnificent pens.You would be the envy of all your friends.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Everyone has their own way for applying but this is a pretty good example and is explained well. If you poke around youtube you can find lots of instructive videos on making the decals themselves.

Waterslide decals

Arlin, I don't see an issue with your printer not being able to do this. As long as it can print with any sort of clarity it should be fine. My first try with waterslide decals was about 2008 when I made a cane for my Dad. I embellished it with some of his military history. Printers have come a long way since then.
[Image: 2010_06140011.jpg]

I found the tutorial I was looking for. 

Decal Pen Tutorial
They are going to love making pens like this.  Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I had an issue crop up with my latest batch I was working on last night. Normally I have been turning the blank down, sand it up nice and give it 5 or 6 coats of thin CA to make a nice surface for the decal. I have been using a topcoat thats new to me, that is oil modified water base polyurethane. Flows super nice and dries very fast. My first batch pictured above used that method with no issues, in fact I rechecked them today. However after coating the ones last night and letting them dry, today I could literally peel off the poly like a sock from the CA! 

I dont like putting CA over decals because if I have a glitch and need to sand its so easy to go through the decal, so today I reapplied the decal and used lacquer as the topcoat. After this set I will switch my base product to poly and try again. 

Needed to remind myself that all finishes do not mix.
Was the link above you posted to be where you got the paper?  If not where did you get the paper please.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very impressive pens, well done.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
(03-11-2017, 02:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Was the link above you posted to be where you got the paper?  If not where did you get the paper please.

Arlin there are a few places you can get it. I have been using Testors decal paper that I pick up at Hobby Lobby. You can get it with a clear (what I use) or a white background. Its about $11 for 6 5.5x8.5 sheets. A cheaper alternative that came highly recommended to me was to order online from here. http://www.decalpaper.com/product-p/tryc.htm  Its a better buy and more user friendly 8.5 x 11 sheets.